Victoria University’s TAFE division, Victoria Polytechnic, will operate new job and skills centres in Footscray and Sunshine starting 30 March, with a third centre for Melton later this year.
Skills and Jobs Centres are part of a Victorian Government program for prospective students and employers to obtain free advice on training, job opportunities and links to other services.
They are a starting point for prospective students looking for training, workers seeking to reskill, or the unemployed seeking to retrain. Employers can also use the centres to upskill their workforce or assist with job vacancies.
For prospective students, workers, or the unemployed the centres offer:
- skills assessment
- information about in-demand skills
- career advice and counselling
- information about potential jobs and relevant training courses
- talks and seminars by community groups and employers
- workshops to improve skills and learn about employment opportunities
- referrals to a range of support services that focus on careers and employment, education and training, welfare, or financial guidance
- meetings with local employers.
The centres can support employers by:
- finding and training staff or identifying training options for their workforce
- providing information about employment trends and in-demand skills
- helping them understand and access incentivised government initiatives such as the Back to Work scheme and Local Industry Fund for Transition.
The Footscray Skills and Job Centre is located at VU at MetroWest, 138 Nicholson Street on the Nicholson Street mall.
The Sunshine centre, located at VU’s Sunshine Campus, 460 Ballarat Rd, will be dedicated to helping former automotive workers find new lines of work.
Ann Marie Angebrandt: 03 9919 5487, 0401 100 576, [email protected]