The PNG and the Pacific collection aims to provide materials for researchers in the Asian and Pacific studies area. It is based on a collection of Papua New Guinean material that was established at Queens College Library during the 1960's by a group of students with an interest in Papuan independence.
The collection was bought by Victoria University and relocated in 1996. From 2005 the collection was expanded to include items from the Pacific and is located in the Special Collections Room, P402, at the Footscray Park Campus Library.
What's in the Collection?
The PNG and Pacific collection features a range of books, reports, journals, newsletters, yearbooks and pamphlets that focus mainly on Papua New Guinea, but also includes items from the greater Pacific and South East Asian regions.
The Collection's strengths are: economics, development and trade, statistical data, governance and administration, language and linguistics, education,culture, society and history.
Title available in the collection include:
- Papua New Guinea Government Gazette
- Papua New Guinea National Bibliography
- Annual Report of the Territory of Papua
- New Guinea and Australia, the Pacific and South East Asia
- CSIRO Land Research Series
- Papua New Guinea Law Reports
- Pacific Linguistics series
- Research Bulletin of the PNG Department of Agriculture and Livestock / Primary Industry
- Papua New Guinea Newsletter
Access to the Collection
In the Library Catalogue all items in the collection have the prefix FTS PNG COLL. before the call number.
The PNG and Pacific collection is located within the Special Collection room at the Footscray Park Library. Items cannot be borrowed, but may be used within the library.
Please make an appointment to use the PNG and the Pacific collection by contacting the Librarian responsible for maintaining the collection, Linda Forbes, on (03) 9919 8506 during office
hours, or by emailing Linda at: email@example.com
Other useful resources
Victoria University Library has significant holdings of books and journals from or about PNG available in the Main Collection at Footscray Park campus, as well as some online journals (available to students and staff of Victoria University). There is also a wealth of PNG related information available via the internet, such as:
- National Library of Australia Pacific Collection
- Papua New Guinea Association of Australia
- Papua New Guinea Books, Useful Articles & Information
- Picture Australia
- United Nations Development Program: Papua New Guinea
- National Research Institute of Papua New Guinea
- Port Moresby Chamber of Industry
- Summer Institute of Linguistics Papua New Guinea
- National Statistical Office of Papua New Guinea.