Open Access computer labs are available to all VU staff and students. Some machines offer internet access for educational purposes. Campus libraries also have computers available during opening hours.
Active Directory (AD)
Active Directory (AD) and email accounts are created for all students within 24 hours of successful enrolment and full fee payment.
You can access most VU systems by logging in with your AD account:
- Username: s <student ID number> e.g. s1234567
- Your initial password: Temp <date of birth in DDMMYYYY format> e.g. Temp12031976 (Please note 'Temp' has a capital T)
VU systems that use AD include:
Changing your AD password
When you change your Active Directory (AD) password, it automatically changes your password for all the other systems that use your AD password, including your email.
- To change your password, log in to MyVU.
- First time users will be prompted to change their password. Enter your current password and then enter a new password. Note: This new password will also become your AD and email password due to the sync process.
- If you are not prompted to change your password on login, follow these steps:
- Click the My Account icon in the top right hand corner of the page.
- Select the Change password link to open the Change password view.
- Set up your password reset options. If you forget your password in the future, you will be asked which option (from those you have nominated) you would like to use. This means you can reset your password off site through MyVU and continue accessing your VU email and other VU services.
All passwords need to be at least eight (8) characters long consisting of at least each of the following:
- At least 1 English uppercase character (A through Z)
- At least 1 English lowercase character (a through z)
- At least 1 numeral (0 through 9)
- or a non-alphabetic characters (such as !, $, #, %).
Visit a VUHQ Student Service Centre on your campus or call ITS on +61 3 9919 2777 to have your password reset.
Open access computers
Open Access computers are available to all VU staff and students.
When assignments are due, computer labs, printers and photocopiers can be very busy. Make sure you organise your workload to meet your deadlines.
Open access computer locations
Open access computer facilities are located in the VU Library at each campus as well as the locations listed below. You need to book a PC so you can use a computer at the location and time you want it.
Find out more about open access computers in the libraries and book computers online.
|Footscray Nicholson||Cafe area|
|City Tower||Level 2, Library|
|St Albans||Building 10, Room 10.133|
|Sunshine||Building C, Room C201|
Open times may vary, so contact your campus library for details.
Use of VU computer facilities is governed by the IT Appropriate Use Policy. We recommend you read the policy. Signs in the computer labs also offer useful information, including rules specific to that laboratory and copyright issues.