The partnership between Victoria University and Freedom Golf Academy offers local and international students a strong foundation in golf, using the most advanced golf instruction available. In addition our students develop skills and knowledge essential for any sporting career. The two organisations work closely together to ensure the highest quality program for all students.
Students recognise that Freedom Golf Academy provides one of the most experienced teams of PGA Golf Professionals in Melbourne. The coaching team has over 50 years of experience in professional golf tuition.
The Freedom Golf Academy is based at two world-class driving ranges in Melbourne, Albert Park Golf Range and Plenty Views Golf Park.
VU Golf Academy offerings
- nationally recognised SIS50612 Diploma Sport Development qualification from Victoria University
- use of VU learning and teaching facilities and fitness centres as well as VU’s $68 million sport & exercise science laboratories
- student induction pack
- VU Golf Academy uniform
- high performance sport specific educational delivery which may include the attainment of golf specific coaching qualifications.
- golf specific training by highly qualified and experienced coaches
- further study & career pathways.
You will have access to the highest quality coaching and teaching to provide hands-on learning. Everything you learn with us has direct links to your future career and will add to your understanding of professional sport.
We place a strong emphasis on both the on-course and off-course experience that you will be able to apply in a real world context.
As a student at Victoria University, you will join an incredibly diverse, motivated and friendly group of people from all walks of life and all educational backgrounds. We pride ourselves on having teachers who make a point of getting to know you.
You will be recognised as an individual with current needs and future career aspirations, and you will get one-on-one support to help you get there. Just like in real life, you will be challenged and you will be given opportunities – but we will be there to guide you every step of the way.
VU Golf Academy team
Our team is made of highly trained and experienced golf coaches.
Brian Ferguson: Director, Freedom Golf
Bryan has enjoyed a commendable career as a golfing professional.
His current position is as head club fitter at the Albert Park Driving Range.
Brian's achievements include:
- being a member of the Australian PGA since 1976
- AAA PGA membership, the highest classification offered by the Australian PGA.
- head professional position at numerous clubs and driving ranges in the Melbourne area over the past 20 years
- head of education for club fitting at Henry Griffiths from 1988 to 2009
- representing Victoria in the Junior State Team from 1970 to 1973
- the status of Master Club Fitter
- being voted club fitter of the year for five consecutive years.
His areas of specialisation include learning style analysis, facility management, and programme development.
Kevin Webster: Director, Freedom Golf
Kevin has been a member of the Australian PGA since 1994 and has made a full time career out of coaching for the past thirteen years. He understands what is required to compete at an elite level.
He has proven success in coaching students from beginner to advanced levels.
Kevin's achievements include:
- experience playing the Australasian PGA circuit
- holding a AAA PGA membership rating
- being is an accredited Level 2 Golf Coach by the Coaching Council of Australia.
Kevin was Associate Director of Golf at Albert Park Driving Range for two years. There he worked alongside Steve Bann and Dale Lynch, two world-class and widely respected golf coaches.
Kevin has spent four months coaching in China. He was head coach and general manager of the golf facility at the Generals Gardens facility located in the Chao Yang district in Beijing.
Kevin continually strives to improve his knowledge and understanding of every aspect of golf.
A typical week consists of a mix of classroom theory in a blend of:
- face to face delivery
- online self-directed study
- engagement with community in a work integrated learning context.
Much of this learning is boosted in the daily golf training, strength and conditioning sessions.
The training and gym sessions are carefully balanced in terms of scheduling, volume and intensity. The goal is to balance our athlete’s performance and developmental requirements and the educational outcomes of the program.
Classroom & training sessions
Face to face educational delivery take up approximately 8-10 hours per week.
Training sessions of 10 hours per week (2 x 5 hours sessions) at the following venues:
- Albert Park Golf Range
- Plenty Views Golf Park.
Potential career options after completing the course are:
- competition manager
- program developer
- talent development manager
- sport development manager
- professional athlete
- golf coach.
If you want further information complete the online enquiry form on the course page.
Phone: +613 9919 6100.