Develop the skills and knowledge required to perform the role of a trainer, facilitator or assessor in the workplace and in Registered Training Organisations (RTOs).
This course is suitable for professionals, tradespeople and others who are training or are required to train in the workplace. You will learn to deliver training and assess competency in both the vocational education and training (VET) sector and the workplace.
During the course you will:
- learn to design and plan learning programs
- learn to plan assessment activities and develop assessment tools
- develop skills for effective training in the workplace
- learn to best facilitate learning and assessment for groups and individuals
- develop skills to in adult language, literacy and numeracy
- learn to utilise training packages to meet the needs of groups or individuals.
This qualification is recognised Australia wide and complies with the standards set out by the National Standards and Skills Council.
Upskill: from TAE40110 qualification to meet new revised standards for RTOs by completing the following unit(s):
- TAELLN411 – address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills (1 day delivery)
- TAEASS502 – design and develop assessment tools (2 day delivery).
Upgrade: from the existing TAE40110 to the TAE40116 qualification through the completion of gap training and assessment (combined 1 day delivery).
Find out more about Recognition of Prior Learning & Recognition of Current Competency.
Free TAFE – apply now
Eligible students won’t pay tuition fees for this course in 2022.
Free TAFE courses align with skills and jobs that are in high demand from Victorian employers.
Find out more about Free TAFE.
Day and evening class options available.
Contact us to discuss the right option for you at [email protected].
City King Campus 2 days a week
- 14 September 2021
- 19 October 2021
City King Campus 1 day a week
- 2 September 2021
- 8 November 2021
City King Campus evening class
- 20 September 2021
Werribee Campus evening class
- 20 September 2021
City Tower Campus 2 days a week
- 1 February 2022
City Tower Campus 1 day a week
- 11 February 2022
Werribee Campus 1 day a week
- 14 February 2022
City Tower Campus evening class
- 31 January 2022
Werribee Campus evening class
- 31 January 2022
Careers in training and assessment
Career opportunities after completion of this course include:
- enterprise trainer and/or assessor
- registered training organisation (RTO) trainer RTO assessor
- training adviser or training needs analyst
- vocational education teacher.
The course structure comprises the following core and elective units. These electives have been selected based on industry needs, graduate pathways and/or student and teacher feedback.
To be awarded TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, a student must successfully complete a total of ten (10) units of competency, comprising of:
- nine (9) core units, and;
- one (1) elective unit, of which:
- the elective may be selected from the electives listed in the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment qualification, or;
- from any currently endorsed training package or accredited course at Certificate IV or above.
The elective unit chosen must be relevant to the work outcome and meet local industry needs as well as be approved by the Polytechnic.
VU Polytechnic delivers the electives listed in the ‘course structure and units’ below. These electives have been selected based on industry needs, graduate pathways and/or student and teacher feedback. Alternative suitable electives are only available via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT).
Recognition of Prior Learning and/or Credit Transfers
Previous completion of units at the Polytechnic or any other Registered Training Organisation and/or previous attainment of skills and knowledge may be credited towards this course. Units must satisfy the completion rules of the qualification and be assessed as appropriate by the Polytechnic.
This qualification reflects the roles of individuals delivering training and assessment services in the vocational education and training (VET) sector. This qualification (or the skill sets derived from units of competency within it) is also suitable preparation for those engaged in the delivery of training and assessment of competence in a workplace context, as a component of a structured VET program.
Achievement of the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment satisfies the qualification requirements for trainers and assessors, who deliver and assess nationally accredited training products as specified in the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015.
Fees & scholarships
Fee type for this course: VET
Fee type definitions
The amount you pay for your course depends on whether you’re offered a government subsidised place or a full fee-paying place.
Students who enrol in a:
- government subsidised place pay subsidised tuition fees (the government contributes the rest), and may be required to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee along with any material fees
- full fee-paying place pay the full fee tuition rate (which includes Student Services and Amenities Fee and any material fees).
Find out more about:
- the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)
- ways to pay your fees
- important fee dates
- how to apply for a VE/TAFE refund
Scholarships & assistance
Apply for a scholarship to help with your study costs.
We can help with fee assistance and advice.
Admission & pathways
Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee you entry into this course. Some courses receive more applications than the number of places available. In this situation we will also assess your education, work and other relevant experience.
If you do not meet the minimum requirements you may be eligible for one of our special admission programs.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate vocational competency in their proposed teaching and assessing area. Vocational competency is defined as broad industry knowledge and experience, and may include, but is not limited to, holding a relevant unit of competency or qualification.
All applicants are required to:
- Complete Pre-Training review
Complete Literacy and numeracy assessment to assist with determining eligibility and to identify learning support need
Provide relevant vocational unit of competency or qualification if relevant
- Provide resume or curriculum vitae
You may be able to complete your qualification sooner through formal recognition of your existing skills. This is known as Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
To receive RPL, we assess your previous work, education and life experiences against recognised qualifications. Applications for RPL can be made prior to enrolling.
Call us on 1300 TAFE VP (1300 823 387) to discuss RPL options with the course manager.
How to apply
Prior to enrolment, all applicants will be required to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment to assist with determining eligibility and to identify learning support needs.
Before you apply
Before starting your application, please read through the step-by-step VU Polytechnic application process to make sure you have all the necessary documents and information ready to successfully complete your application.
Before applying, you should consider whether you also want to apply for:
- Credit transfer/Recognition of prior learning (RPL): If you have significant experience or studies elsewhere you may be eligible for credit for some units of your course and not have to undertake them.
Apply direct to VU
Apply direct to VU using our admission centre, submit applications for one or more courses, track and save your progress and upload additional information.
Already a VU student?
If you are already a VU student, apply direct to VU using our Admissions centre to transfer into this course. Remember it’s best to be accepted into your new course before withdrawing from your current one.
After you apply
- It’s important to check for emails from us (which may go to your spam/junk folder).
- Complete any requests for information by the given dates, otherwise your application may not be considered