Associate Professor Patrick McLaughlin is a senior lecturer in osteopathic medicine for the College of Health & Biomedicine.
He has worked in a variety of lecturing and administrative roles at Victoria University over the years, including both acting and associate Head of School, elected member of the ERB, Deputy Chair of Strategy Committee and course coordinator of Osteopathy.
Pat is currently biomechanics and research coordinator in Osteopathy. He has strong links with industry groups, using these contacts to generate research projects and learning opportunities for VU students.
Refereed journal articles
Asogwa, C., Collins, S., McLaughlin, P. and Lai, D. (2016) A galvanic coupling method for assessing hydration rates. Electronics, 5, 39; doi:10.3390/electronics5030039
McLaughlin, P., Vaughan, B., Shanahan, J., Martin, J. and Linger, G. (2016) Inexperienced examiners and the Foot Posture Index: a reliability study. Manual Therapy, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2016.06.009
Begg L., McLaughlin P., Vicaretti M., Burns J. (2016) Total contact cast wall load in patients with a plantar forefoot ulcer and diabetes. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, 9:2.
Nolan, K.J., Yarossi, M., McLaughlin, P. (2015) Changes in COP displacement with the use of a foot drop stimulator in individuals with stroke. Clinical Biomechanics 30, 755-76.
Scott, D., McLaughlin, P., Nicholson, G., Ebeling, P., Stuart, A., Kay, D., Sanders, K. (2015) The association of changes in gait performance and incident falls over four years in community-dwelling older women at high risk of fracture. Age and ageing 44 (2), 287-293.
- HBS1102 Evidence for Practice 1
- HBS1103 Scientific Basis for Osteopathy 1
- HBS2302 Evidence for Practice 3
- HHL4180 Introduction to Research Methods
- RBM4002 Science Honours 2
- HHN3605 Nutrition Challenges
Postgraduate research students and fellows
3 x PhD (co-supervisor), 1 x MSc, 20 Masters by coursework research projects
- Next generation compression garment equipment, Victoria University, $26,985
- Towards the development of a novel portable golf trainer system using new sensor technology, Victoria University, $29,387
- Alternative models of assessment of overseas-qualified osteopaths for their suitability to practice in Australia, Osteopaths Registration Board of Victoria, $99,415
Areas of expertise
- Data analysis
- Pressure measurement
- Technique analysis