Dr Maria Prokofieva is a Senior Lecturer of Accounting in the Victoria University Business School.
Her research interests and areas of expertise include accounting information systems, international accounting and accounting education.
Dr Prokofieva is the coordinator of the undergraduate and postgraduate units, Financial Accounting and Financial Analysis. She is also the ambassador for the Women in Data Science (WiDS) 2020 Melbourne.
Refereed journal articles
Prokofieva, M, Jackling, B. and Natoli, R. (accepted), “A tale of two cohorts: Identifying
differences in group work perceptions”, Asian Review of Accounting (Ranked B in ABDC).
Prokofieva, M. and Clark, C. (2014). “The effect of press visibility on voluntary disclosure: country-level approach”, Corporate Ownership and Control Journal. 11(2), pp. 72-83. (Ranked B in ABDC).
Prokofieva, M. (2013), "Evaluating types of students' interactions in a wiki-based collaborative learning project", Australasian Journal of Educational Technology. 29(4). (Ranked B in ERA, impact factor 1.363 (JCR 2012)).
Prokofieva, M. and Vysotskaya, A. (2012), “The difficulties of teaching IFRS in Russia”, Issues in Accounting Education, 28(2), pp. 309-319. (Ranked A in ABDC list, A in ERA)
Prokofieva, M. and Muniandy, B. (2011), “Board composition and audit fee: Evidence from Russia”, Corporate Ownership and Control Journal, 8(2), 551-565. (Ranked B in ABDC list, B in ERA)
Jackling, B, Naidoo, M, Oliver, B. and Prokofieva, M 2013. Identifying the employment expectation performance gaps of early career accounting, RMIT Educators Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
Prokofieva, M., Jackling, B. and Natoli, R. 2012. Evaluating the Benefits of Group Work in a Multicultural Learning Environment: Implications for Curriculum Reform, American Accounting Association Annual Meeting and Conference on Teaching and Learning in Accounting, Washington, USA.
Prokofieva, M., Jackling, B. and Natoli, R. 2011. Improving accounting students employability: an evaluation of group work in a multicultural learning environment, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ) conference, Darwin, Australia.
Naidoo, J., Jackling, B., Paguio, R., Prokofieva, M., Seelanatha, L., Henderson, F. and Oliver, B. 2011, Identifying employment expectation-performance gaps of accounting graduates using graduate employability indicators, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ) Conference, Darwin, Australia.
Prokofieva, M., Jackling, B. and Natoli, R. 2011. Attitude of accounting students towards group work in a multicultural learning environment, American Accounting Association Annual Meeting and Conference on Teaching and Learning in Accounting, Denver, Colorado.
Prokofieva, M. 2011. Student perception of effectiveness of wiki-based group projects in higher education, International Business Information Management Conference (16th IBIMA), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Undergraduate unit: BAO2202 Financial Accounting
Postgraduate unit: BAO5734 Financial Analysis
- VU International Collaborative Research Grant Scheme with Central University of Finance and Economics (CUFE), China, 2013: “ICT adoption and economic development: Evidence from China” ($10,000)
- AFAANZ Research Grant scheme 2012: “The impact of negative experiences on accounting students withdrawal from study”, ($6,000) with Prof. Beverley Jackling and Dr. Riccardo Natoli
- VU Researcher Development Grants Scheme 2012: “Media visibility and voluntary disclosure of sustainability related items in Australia and China” ($25,000) with Prof. Colin Clark
- VU Research Start-Up Fund Grant 2011: “Using a wiki platform as a collaborative knowledge development tool in a postgraduate accounting education” ($2,000)
- ALTC grant 2010 “Building course team capacity to enhance graduate employability” ($20,000) as part of the research team with Prof. Beverley Jackling, Naidoo, J., Paguio, R., Seelanatha, L.
- FOBL Staff Awards 2012 - Research Commendation
- Accounting & Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ)
- Research Associate of Victoria Institute of Strategic Economic Studies
Areas of expertise
- Accounting information systems
- Capital markets
- Financial reporting