Dr Janet Young
Senior Lecturer, College of Sport & Exercise Science
Janet Young is the Discipline group leader for PE/Sport Coaching and Social and Behavioural Sport Science, and a Senior Lecturer in the College of Sport & Exercise Science.
Janet has an avid interest in sport having been a professional tennis player and Australian representative. Her involvement in tennis has included working for the Women’s Tennis Association (over 10 years) and Tennis Australia. Currently Janet is a Director of the Evonne Goolagong Foundation and is a member of the International Tennis Federation Coaches Commission. She was recently honoured by the International Tennis Federation and Tennis Australia for services to tennis.
Young, J.A. (2016). Passion: The fire within. Blind Tennis: Coaches’ perspectives on an Australian-based program. Medicine and Science in Tennis, 66 (23), 3-4.
Young, J.A. (2016). Coach-player communication: What, why, when and how. ITF Coaching and Sport Science Review, 68, 21-23.
Pearce. A.J. and Young, J.A., (2016). Hard knocks: Concussion injuries in tennis. ITF Coaching and Sport Science Review, 70 (24), 5-7.
Pearce. A.J., Young, J.A., Aimers, N., and Parrington, L. (2016). Do as I say: Contradicting beliefs and attitudes towards sports concussion in Australia. Journal of Sports Sciences, 1-9.
Craike, M.J., Young, J.A., Symons, C.M., Pain, M.D. Harvey, J.T., Eime, R.M. & Payne, W.R. (2016). Trends in Body Image of Adolescent Females in Metropolitan and Non-metropolitan Regions: A Longitudinal Study. BMC Public Health, 16 (1), 1-9.
Postgraduate research students and fellows
Current co-supervision of 2 PhD students, 1 Masters student and 1 Honours student.
These include grants from the International Tennis Federation and Victoria University Staff College.
Current roles and memberships include:
- Ambassador Blind Sport Victoria (Tennis program)
- Exercise and Sport Psychologist (practice endorsement from Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency [AHPRA])
- Australian Psychological Society College of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Psychologist (registered with AHPRA and Psychology Board of Australia)
- Supervisor for the College of Sport & Exercise Psychologists
- Australian Psychological Society Ten Year Membership certificate
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Editorial Board, International Tennis Federation [ITF] Coaching & Sport Science Review
- Member, ITF Coaches Commission
- Reviewer of the Journal of Medicine and Science in Tennis
- Research Associate, Institute of Sport, Exercise and Active Living
- Last 8 Club Wimbledon, US Open and Australian Open
- International Tennis Club member
- Tennis Australia Advanced coach
- Evonne Goolagong Foundation Board member.
Industry experience includes:
- Tennis Australia (Head of Women’s Tennis)
- Women’s Tennis Association (Tour Director and referee)
- Key Personnel Pty Ltd (Executive Director)
- John P Young and Associates (Executive Director)
Areas of expertise
- Coaching (including adapted coaching)
- Exercise and sport psychology