Dr Helen Yang
Senior Lecturer, College of Business
Helen Yang is a Senior Lecturer of Accounting in College of Business. She has brought to her role as an accounting academic, an additional advantage,and her knowledge of China. Her significant contribution to the scholarship of transnational accounting teaching and learning has been recognised nationally at the 2013 Australian Awards for University Teaching.
Helen publishes in top-tiered international journals in the fields of accounting, curriculum and pedagogy. She has been successful in seeking external competitive research grants (including a national HERDC and ERA Category One grant) as the lead investigator.
Through connecting applied accounting discipline-specific research with the scholarship of learning and teaching, she has engaged students and contributed to her continuous professional development as an academic.
Helen has made positive contributions to governance and collegial life inside and outside the University in a number of leadership and administrative roles (including Discipline Leader of Financial Accounting Group, Technical reviewer of CPA Program, Academic coordinator of VU’s offshore business degree programs at Liaoning University, China, and CPA Campus Liaison Officer).
Awards and recognitions
- 2013 Australian Awards for University Teaching: Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, Australian Government, Office of Learning and Teaching
- 2012 Vice-Chancellor's Citation for Excellence in Learning and Teaching Higher Education, Victoria University.
- 2014 Excellence in Higher Degree Research (for her Ph.D thesis, titled: Changing institutional environment, Chinese company characteristics, and climate-change reporting), College of Business, Victoria University
- 2011 Research Excellence Award, School of Accounting and Finance, Victoria University.
- 2008 CPA Program Excellence Award for achieving High Distinction in CPA examination in Financial Accounting, CPA Australia
- 2007 CPA Program Excellence Award for achieving High Distinction in CPA examination in Corporate Governance, CPA Australia
- 2007 CPA Program Excellence Award for achieving High Distinction in CPA examination in Reporting and Professional Practice, CPA Australia
Yang, H., Clark, C., Wu, C.Y., Farley, A. (forthcoming 2017), Insights from accounting practitioners on China’s convergence with IFRS. Australian Accounting Review, Doi:10.1111/auar.12182
Yang, H. and Farley, A (2016), Convergence or divergence? Corporate climate-change reporting in China. International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, 24 (4), 391 - 414
Yang, H., Craig, R.J., Farley, A.A. (2015). A review of Chinese and English language studies on corporate environmental reporting in China. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 28, 30-48.
Yang, H. (2012) Western concept, Chinese context: A note on teaching accounting offshore, International Journal of Pedagogies and Learning, 7, 1, 20-30
- Yang, H., Farley, A., and Min, L. (2015). Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching grant: Factors influencing Chinese students' academic success in an Australian university's pathway program: an empirical test (Lead investigator and project manager, HERDC and ERA Category One, Work-in-progress)
- Clark, C. and Yang, H. (2012): Victoria University and Chinese University of Economics and Finance joint grant: Implementation of IFRS in the PRC, a review of rationale and process
- Clark, C. and Yang, H. (2011). CPA Australia Global Research Perspectives Grant, Converging with IFRS in the Peoples Republic of China: Progress and Obstacles (Lead investigator)
- Yang, H (2009): Victoria University, Institute of Sustainability and Innovation Research Grant: Business Implications for Corporate Sustainability Management in North China.
Accounting specialisation subjects (postgraduate and undergraduate), including:
- Advanced issues in financial accounting
- Accounting theories
- Corporate reporting and disclosure
- Accounting information systems
PhD supervision (Corporate environmental accounting in emerging economies; IFRS implementation in emerging economies).
- Transnational business program site coordinator of Liaoning University, China (2008-2012)
- BAO5535 Issues in Contemporary Accounting
- BAO3309 Advanced Financial Accounting
- Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) Australia
- AFAANZ (The Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand)
- College of Business
- Accounting Discipline
Areas of expertise
- Environmental (carbon) accounting
- International financial accounting
- Translation in accounting research
- Transnational business education