Dr Derek Panchuk
BKin, MSc, PhD (University of Calgary)
Lecturer, Skill Acquisition
Derek Panchuk is a lecturer in motor learning. He is an expert in visual attention and gaze behaviour during the performance of day-to-day activities and sport skills.
His work on the Quiet Eye of elite goaltenders was featured on a number of media outlets including the Discovery Channel, and The Sports Network (TSN, Canada).
He has worked with a number of sporting organisations including:
- the PGA
- Victorian State golf team
- Cricket Victoria
- Australian ski-cross team.
His current research projects are focused on examining: a) the relationship between attention control, gaze behaviour, and fatigue; b) the relationship between navigation strategies and gaze behaviour; c) using gaze behaviour as a performance training tool.
Postgraduate research students and fellows
Co-supervision of 2 PhD students
2012: Australian Institute of Sport High Performance Research Fund, $28,640.
2012: Australian Sports Commission – Victoria University Collaborative Fund, $125,000.
2011: Australian Institute of Sport High Performance Sport Research Fund, $20,400.
2010: Musashi, $20,000.
2010: VU Research Development Grant Scheme, $28,953.
Refereed journal articles
Stone, J, Panchuk D, Davids, K, North, J, Fairweather, I, & Maynard, I. An integrated ball projection technology for the study of dynamic interceptive actions. Behavioural Research Methods.
Panchuk, D, Farrow, D & Meyer, T. How can novel training aids be used to induce acute changes in gaze behaviour? Journal of Sports Sciences. RJSP-2013-0575.
Lorains, M, Panchuk, D, Ball, K & MacMahon, C. The effect of an above real time decision-making intervention on visual search behaviour. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching.
Sakadjian, A, Panchuk, D & Pearce, AJ. Kinematic and kinetic improvements associated with action observation facilitated learning of the power clean in Australian footballers. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research.
Panchuk, D, Spittle, M, Spittle, S, & Johnston, N (2013). The effect of practice distribution and experience on the performance and retention of a discrete sport skill. Perceptual & Motor Skills, 116(3), 1-11.
Refereed book chapters
McMahon, C, & Panchuk, Dq. Probabilities. In R.C. Eklund & G. Tenenbaum (Eds.), Encyclopaedia of sport and exercise psychology. Sage.
Panchuk, D, & Vickers, JN (2013). Expert visual perception: Why having a Quiet Eye matters in sport. In, D Farrow, J Baker, C MacMahon (Eds.), Developing Expertise in Sport: Researchers and Coaches Put Theory Into Practice (2nd ed), pp 195-209. Routledge: London.
View all of Derek's publications in the Victoria University Research Repository.
- 2012: Australian Institute of Sport, High Performance Research Fund. A need for speed: Training gaze behaviour for optimal path selection in racing, $28,640.
- 2011: Australian Institute of Sport, High Performance Sport Research Fund, Nutritional supplements to enhance team-sport athlete skill performance and decision making in extreme environments, $20,400.
- 2010: Musashi, Nutritional Strategies for enhanced decision making and skill performance in team sports, $20,000.
- Motor Learning
- North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity.
- Australasian Skill Acquisition Research Group
Areas of expertise
- Eye movements and gaze behaviour
- Skill acquisition
- Sport expertise and decision making
- Visual attention and control
- +61 3 9919 5982