Some of the books featured in the 2020 online exhibition ‘Books in the Special Collections’ are now on display at Footscray Park Library.
The books displayed in the four cabinets at Footscray Park Library provide a glimpse of the themes prevailing within four collections.
The Special Collection
Books from the Special Collection (also known as the Rare & Valuable Books Special Collection) are showcased in the cabinet within the Learning Hub. Discover books about Australian literature, western suburbs history, transport, history to preserve and all things Australian:
- Scenes of Revolutionary Life
- Werribee, the first one hundred years
- Ferries on the Yarra
- The Story of Burke and Wills: with sketches and essays
- The convict maid: early broadsides relating to Australia.
See list of Special Collection books on display and click on a book title to view book details.
PNG & the Pacific collection
Books from the PNG and the Pacific collection are in the cabinet next to the service desk. The books relate to language and culture, regional history, social structures, community and economic development, and physical space and place:
- Bislama: an introduction to the language of Vanuatu
- Tiger lilies: women adventurers in the South Pacific
- Weaving new patterns: women’s struggle for change in Asia and the Pacific
- Subsistence and survival: rural ecology in the Pacific
- Land and politics in New Caledonia.
See list of PNG and the Pacific collection books on display and click on a book title to view book details.
John & Shirley McLaren collection
Books from the John and Shirley McLaren collection are on display in the cabinet near the staircase and lift. This display reveals themes such as stories and storytellers, poems and plays, multiculturalism, Australian stories and connections to collections:
- Coming out from under: contemporary Australian women writers
- Lyrics from a dead language: poems 1977-1991
- Framing marginality: multicultural literary studies
- Whitewash: on Keith Windschuttle's fabrication of Aboriginal history
- The Indo-Fijian experience.
See list of John and Shirley McLaren collection books on display and click on a book title to view book details.
Ruth & Maurie Crow collection
The display of books from the Ruth and Maurie Crow collection, in the cabinet near the ITS kiosk, highlights themes such as urban planning, women's issues, labour economics, social issues and services, and conservation:
- The making of cities
- The womans book
- Pink collar workers
- Caring for Australia’s children
- Man, the earth and tomorrow; an introduction to the conservation and use of Australia's natural resources.
See list of Ruth and Maurie Crow collection books on display and click on a book title to view book details.
For information about this Library display and past exhibitions, check Library Guide Special Collections: Exhibitions at VU.
For queries about the Special Collections, email [email protected].