Celebrations in Special Collections
In celebration of our success with the First Year Model, recent global rankings and various awards, Footscray Park Library has a Special Collections display about celebrations.
Materials from a variety of our Special Collections will be on display until 31 March 2019, including our Rare & valuable books, Ray Verrills, John & Shirley McLaren and Sir Zelman Cowen collections
Celebrations & commemorations
Our celebrations and commemorations display highlights anniversaries, weddings and other celebrations:
- commemorative publications such as Fiftieth anniversary of UNESCO; The 60th anniversary of the end of World War 2; Footscray Youth Club 30th anniversary; Victoria - 150 years celebration
- books such as Delta wedding; The wedding group; The wedding of Jayanthi Mandel.
The display can be found near the IT kiosk at Footscray Park Library.
Christmas, festivals & events
Located opposite the lift and stairs, our Christmas display features:
- religious and pagan perspectives, such as The Pope and world peace: extracts from the Christmas messages of Pope Pius XII and Our pagan Christmas
- locations, such as Christmas in New Zealand and Melbourne's Living Museum of the West
- recounts from 1783-1963, such as The keeping of Christmas at Bracebridge Hall; English Christmas; Christmas books by Charles Dickens; and The business of good government: a Christmas play
- books about Christmas carols and Christmas linocuts.
Visit the Learning Hub for a display focused on the arts and special events:
- the 9th Festival of Pacific Arts
- Balanchine's festival of ballet
- arts/literary festivals in Toowoomba, Grenfell, Adelaide and Williamstown
- a walking tour of Yarraville and its people, and the Thurber Carnival.
Journeys around Australia and the world are reflected in a display near the service desk, showcasing:
- recounts such as Hindoo holiday; Captain Cook's voyages: 1768-1779; and Roaming round New Zealand
- illustrations and maps such as All round the world; Australian pictures; Morgan's official street directory: Melbourne & suburbs; The Shell and BP guide to Britain; South-east Asia and Australia: maps of external territories.
Access Special Collections for research
Researchers from VU and other academic institutions, as well as the wider community, are welcome to use material from the Special Collections. While the items can't be borrowed, they can be viewed in the reading room on level 4 of our Footscray Park Library. Find out how to access and use Special Collections.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, or to make an appointment.
18 December 2018 to 31 March 2019
Footscray Park Library, Building P.