Call for entries: Picturing Footscray Photography Prize
Free entry | Great prizes | Exhibition opportunity
Picturing Footscray is an open-entry photography prize that focuses on Melbourne's unique inner-west suburb of Footscray.
Established in 2016, Picturing Footscray invites photographers of all capabilities to explore the streets of Footscray.
This year 'Old and New in Footscray' is the guiding theme. The subject matter can be as literal or abstract as you determine, whether it's the urban developments juxtaposed with the architecture of decades past, or a personality that has become a recognisable member of the community. What does old and new in Footscray mean to you? We're looking for photographs that stimulate curiosity and conversation about Footscray, and capture the essence of this great location.
All entrants will be exhibited in a major salon-style exhibition held at VU at MetroWest, providing an opportunity to have work displayed in a professional context.*
Prizes will be awarded at the exhibition opening, and the People's Choice award will be awarded at the conclusion of the exhibition.
*Subject to Terms and Conditions
- First prize: $3,000.00
- Second prize: $1,000.00
- Third prize: $500.00
- People’s Choice Award: $500.00
- Entries open: Friday 30 March
- Entries close: Friday 27 April
- Deliver printed photographs for installation at VU at MetroWest: 7 - 11 May
- Exhibition opening: 17 May
- Exhibition at VU at MetroWest: 18 May – 8 June
- Artwork collection: 11 - 22 June
Anyone can enter. There are no boundaries of age, ability, experience or technical equipment. Both amateur and professional photographers are invited to submit either analogue or digital photographs that explore the theme 'Old and New' in Footscray.
Entries need to comply with the following guidelines:
- Maximum 1 entry per person.
- Each entry will be shown unless deemed offensive, defamatory, too fragile, dangerous or not ready for installation.
- In order to be displayed in the exhibition, photographs must be printed, ready for display and delivered to VU at MetroWest. They must not exceed 80cm in width and height.
The following print and display methods are recommended:
- printed onto good quality paper
- printed onto foam core
- framed with d-rings and wire or string backing.
Acclaimed photographer, Jesse Marlow, will select a first, second and third prize winner and a People’s Choice award will be presented at the end of the exhibition.
At the completion of the exhibition all works will be returned to entrants via collection.
Terms & Conditions
Read the terms and conditions for entry.
Picturing Footscray is an initiative of Victoria University and Footscray University Town.
VU at MetroWest (Footscray)
138 Nicholson Street