This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to provide full body relaxation massages.
It requires the ability to establish priorities with clients, design body massage routines, and provide advice on body products and protection from environmental damage. Body massage can be a single treatment or form part of a series of treatments.
This unit applies to beauty therapists who work in beauty salons, massage clinics and spas. In this environment they work as part of a team but make independent treatment decisions.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• provide five appropriate and safe body massages to clients of differing height, weight and age suitable for the established client treatment plan
• provide massage to treat each of the following areas as appropriate to the above clients:
• design and provide treatment techniques for each of the above clients that demonstrate appropriate selection, application and combination of at least three of the following massage movements:
• gentle, passive movement and appropriate massage techniques:
• design a series of four progressive treatments for three of the above clients to address ongoing needs of each client
• for each of the above clients develop and update treatment plans specifying details of:
• client feedback
• contraindications and conditions
• products used
• massage techniques and movements
• outcomes of previous and current treatment
• post treatment lifestyle and product advice
• treatment duration, areas treated and areas not treated
• treatment objectives
• recommended future treatments
• perform the activities outlined in the performance criteria of this unit during a period of at least 38 hours of work in a commercial beauty therapy salon.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):