On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Analyse the major issues in family law in contemporary Australian society;
- Articulate the current law relating to children and the financial aspects of relationship breakdown and apply it to practical circumstances making professional judgements and decisions;
- Analyse the principles of alternative dispute resolution in family law and evaluate its role in, and application to, complex family law disputes;
- Articulate and evaluate the rationale for the development of family law as it currently stands in Australia and likely future directions; and
- Contextualise the procedures adopted by the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court in dealing with wide ranging family law matters in contemporary society.