This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to apply basic sub-floor framing skills for a rectangular shaped building.This unit applies to pre-apprentices who under close supervision and guidance, develop a defined and limited range of skills and knowledge in preparing them for entering the working environment within the carpentry industry. They use little judgement and follow instructions specified by the supervisor. On entering the industry, it is intended that further training will be required for this specific skill to ensure trade level standard.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each units learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• set out, level, dig stump holes, position soleplates, install and backfill stumps and construct sub-floor framing for one rectangular shaped building
• install bearers showing at least one joining method
• install floor joist to suit fitted and/or platform floors. In completing the above, there must also be evidence that the learner has:
• complied with relevant safety regulations, codes of practice and work plans
• applied safety and sustainable work practices
• communicated and worked effectively with others
• use selected and appropriate materials, tools and equipment for sub-floor framing processes
• cleaned up and stored tools and equipment after construction.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by the VU Polytechnic and/or via the Victoria University Polytechnic e-Learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):