Dietitians play an integral role in the prevention and management of chronic disease. This unit will allow students to develop knowledge and skills in the management of chronic disease, including, but not limited to, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancer, respiratory and muscular-skeletal disorders. The pathophysiology, medical and surgical management will be explored along with the role of diet. Utilising case studies, scenarios and role plays, and through application of the Nutrition Care Process, students will develop skills in dietetic assessment, the identification and diagnosis of nutritional problems and set goals for the management of these. Patient-centred, interdisciplinary care planning skills will be developed.

Unit details

Study level:
Credit points:
Unit code:


240 credits from Bachelor of Nutritional Science OR Appropriate Bachelor degree for graduate entry students.

Learning Outcomes

On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
  1. Critically review and articulate the pathophysiology and clinical management of chronic diseases;  
  2. Assess and diagnose nutritional problems related to chronic disease through the application of the nutrition care process (NCP);  
  3. Formulate and justify management goals and strategies for chronic diseases that are integrated with an overall patient care-plan; and  
  4. Articulate and record relevant information for dietetic care planning in relation to chronic diseases.  


Assessment type Description Grade
Test Online test (2) (30mins each) 20%
Presentation Individual case study presentation (5mins) 15%
Report Case study report (1500 words) 30%
Examination OSCE (30mins) (hurdle) 35%

Where to next?

As part of a course

This unit is studied as part of the following courses. Refer to the course page for information on how to apply for the course.

VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.