This unit explores the income tax regime in Australia, through a critical review of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 and Income Tax Assessment Act 1997, as well as other important legislative provisions relevant to the GST and Fringe Benefits Tax. The concepts that make up the notion of taxable income and how tax payable is calculated will be interrogated from a range of perspectives. Australia's Goods and Services Tax (the GST) and Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) and its application in wide ranging settings will be reviewed. Key taxation issues relating to a range of business structures including sole traders, partnerships, trusts and companies will also be analysed in this unit.

Unit details

Study level:
Postgraduate
Credit points:
12
Unit code:
BLO5539

Prerequisites

BLO5540 - Business and Company Law

Learning Outcomes

On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
  1. Critically review relevant legislative provisions from the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 and Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 in identified contexts and situations;  
  2. Argue convincingly drawing on key provisions from Australia's tax legislation legislative provisions to resolve complex problems;  
  3. Resolve tax problems by applying the role of the common law in Australia's income tax system and principles from key tax cases;  
  4. Critique the role of Taxation Rulings in Australia's income tax system and interpret Taxation Rulings on topics relevant to the unit;  
  5. Interrogate the interaction between the GST, Fringe Benefits Tax and Income Tax in Australia; and  
  6. Exemplify professional judgements and advise on issues relating to tax payable by individuals, and companies and other business structures in order to calculate an amount of tax payable or advise on a dispute that may alter the amount of tax payable.  

Assessment

Assessment type Description Grade
Assignment Individual Research Assignment 30%
Examination Test (Optional) 20% 0%
Examination Individual final exam (open book = 70%) (50% if Optional test is taken) 70%
The above assessments have a total equivalent word count of 7000 to 8000 words. Graded Assessment consists of : (1) Assignment (30%) AND (2) either of the following (at the student's option): (a) Test (20%) AND individual open book Exam (50%); OR (b) individual open book Exam (70%).

Required reading

Principles of Taxation Law 2016
C Coleman, R Hanegbi, S Jogarajan, R Krever, W obst, J Teoh, A Ting,
Thomson Reuters

Where to next?

As part of a course

This unit is studied as part of the following courses. Refer to the course page for information on how to apply for the course.

Study a single unit

This unit may be available as a single unit of study.

Find out more about how to apply for single units of study at VU.

VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.