Denis Nelthorpe, CEO of WEstjustice and VU Adjunct Professor, sees first-hand how the University’s practical learning programs create well-rounded graduates.
VU’s Victoria Law School has a great clinical legal program which gives students an opportunity to practise law throughout their studies. This offers students an enormous advantage when seeking jobs after graduation.
At WEstjustice, we take over 100 students per year who work with us for six to 12 months. VU students also come to us as volunteers for extended periods of time during their degrees to gain supervised casework experience. This ensures that when they enter the workplace they already have experience in management of files and working with clients.
WEstjustice has employed a number of VU graduates based on their knowledge of our practice and experience in case management. We find the practical experience VU offers invaluable when seeking new employees because they’ve already demonstrated their capacity to undertake the work.
Want a career in law? You can study:
- Diploma of Legal Services
- Advanced Diploma of Legal Practice
- Bachelor of Legal Services
- Bachelor of Laws and six different combined degree options
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (Graduate Entry)
Hear from our law graduates
- Iman Osman gained amazing practical experience during her degree, which helped her win a highly competitive graduate position.
- Joseph Hafoka is finding success in his law degree thanks to the support of a VU scholarship and the First Year Model.
- Amanda McDermott won the Supreme Court Prize as the dux of Victoria Law School.
- Ante Sentić turned his practical experience as a seasonal clerk into a graduate lawyer position.