Eligibility for a government subsidised place (TAFE)

Through the Skills First training and TAFE system, eligible students can apply for a government-subsidised place. If successful, the government will contribute to the cost of your training.

If you are not eligible for a government-subsidised place, you will be charged the full-fee tuition rate for all enrolled hours.

Funding rules can be complex depending on your circumstances and education history. The easiest way to find out if you are eligible is to get in touch with us on 1300 82 33 87. We can only confirm this once you have selected a course and we have sighted all your relevant documents.

List of eligibility criteria

You are eligible for a government subsidised place if you are:

  • an Australian citizen; or
  • an Australian Permanent Resident (holder of a permanent Visa); or
  • a New Zealand citizen; or
  • an Asylum Seeker (referred or direct enrolment); or
  • a referred Victim of Human Trafficking


  • have a physical presence in Victoria
  • have not commenced or scheduled to commence two or more government subsidised courses this year or currently undertaking 2 or more government subsidised courses
  • are not currently enrolled in a secondary school

and are any of the following:

  • seeking to enrol in a Foundation Skills course (and do not hold a Diploma or higher qualification or are receiving core skills training in other sectors, and not currently participating in the Skills for Education and Employment program)
  • seeking to enrol in VCE or VCAL (Intermediate/Senior)
  • seeking to enrol into an apprenticeship (not a traineeship)
  • seeking to enrol into a Skills First Funded program


Victoria University offers eligible students access to the following specific State Government initiatives in order to access a government subsidised fee for your course.


This initiative offers asylum seekers and victims of human trafficking an opportunity to develop their skills and knowledge, providing them with a valuable resource in which to be active and successful members of the community. 

For eligibility to enrol under the Asylum Seeker VET Program, 

  1. You will need one of the following:
    • referral to training via the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre or the Australian Red Cross Victims of Human Trafficking Program and present a ‘Referral to Government Subsidised Training – Asylum Seekers’ form, or
    • hold or are a dependent of an individual who holds a valid humanitarian, protection or refugee visa; or
    • hold a bridging visa and have lodged an application for a humanitarian, protection or refugee visa; or
    • hold a bridging visa and have lodged an application under section 417 or section 48B of the Migration Action 1958 (Cth) which is yet to be determined; and
  2. Have study and if relevant, work rights.

Find out more about the Asylum seeker VET program.


This initiative supports young people (24 years of age and under) who have been or are currently on Youth Justice Orders or Child Protection Orders, or are residents of an Education First Youth Foyer, to access training.  Individuals need to provide a referral to training from one of the following: Department of Families, Fairness and Housing, the Department, the Department of Justice and Community Safety or other referring agency.


  • Australian or New Zealand birth certificate (not Birth Extract)
  • current Australian or New Zealand passport
  • naturalisation certificate (including Australian or New Zealand Citizenship Certificate)
  • a current green Medicare card
  • a Referral to Government subsidised training – Asylum Seekers’ form or valid visa as listed under the Asylum Seeker VET Program
  • formal documentation issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship that confirms your permanent residence.