Getting involved in a club is a great way to network with other students and staff with similar interests.
Do you have an idea for a unique and fun new club? Or have you already started a new club and want to affiliate with VU? Affiliating a club with Student Life gives you access to exclusive opportunities, including:
- Student Life funding and grants
- professional development
- ongoing support from a VU Clubs Officer.
If you wish to start a new club, you should first check to see if a similar club already exists.
Steps to affiliate a new club
- Contact the VU Clubs Officer at email@example.com with your new club idea. They will advise you if a similar club already exists, and talk you through the affiliation steps if the idea is approved.
- Elect an executive committee (a minimum of four committee members comprising of a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary) by democratic vote.
- Fill out the new club affiliation form (PDF, 311 KB).
- Once the affiliation form is completed, submit it electronically to the VU Clubs Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person to the VU Clubs Officer in Office M235, Footscray Park Campus.
- Advertise for members using Facebook (including the Student Life Facebook page) and the Vollies email, and make sure to attend Orientation (O-Fest provides great opportunities for membership drives). You must have a minimum of 10 members to affiliate.
- Check in with the VU Clubs Officer regarding how much funding your club is eligible for and how the funding process works.
- Register all executive members for the mandatory clubs induction training.
Getting started once affiliated
Once you have received approval for your club, you will be invited to a compulsory induction training in February. This is where you will receive detailed information about how to manage your club, the services available, and the terms and conditions around running a VU club. It is also a great opportunity to meet and network with executives from other clubs.
Please note: If you cannot attend one of the induction training sessions, you are required to attend a mini training session as a group or one-on-one with the VU Clubs Officer.
Clubs receive a base amount of affiliation funding. Clubs may receive additional funding based on membership and event presence or attendance (e.g. at Orientation and Open Day).
Clubs must also:
- hold an AGM between 1 September and 31 October each year
- re-affiliate by Census date (31 March) each year, by providing all required documentation
- attend appropriate training throughout the year where relevant to each club member’s role (e.g. Treasurer Training)
Enquire about affiliating a club
If you have any questions about the affiliation process, let us know! Complete the form below or email email@example.com.