Housing options

Choosing the right type of housing can present a challenging task. Each option is worth investigating fully before signing a lease agreement or paying any money. Take time to explore all options!

Victoria University offers student housing in two convenient apartments blocks, close to campus and designed for student life.

Victoria University accommodation

Our university accommodation is in convenient and friendly apartments, best suited to single students.

When you choose to stay in our student housing, you'll have a furnished room, use of facilities, pastoral care and academic support.

The apartments at Unilodge@VU offer fully furnished accommodation in single or shared units designed for student living. Just across from our Footscray Park Campus, and a 15-minute walk to Footscray Nicholson, the apartments are ideally placed within easy reach of other campuses and the city by buses and trains.

Private rental options

If you choose not to stay in our student accommodation, there several types of housing that you can choose from:

  • Share house – for singles and couples. You have a room with use of household facilities in an established household. The room may be furnished or unfurnished and cost of gas, electricity & water may or may not be included in the rent.
  • Rooming houses and serviced hostels – for singles or couples. You have your own room and share the house common facilities with four or more other individuals paying separate rent.
  • Vacant properties to rent – houses, flats, units, self-contained bungalows and apartments. Most properties to rent are unfurnished. Cost of gas, electricity and water is not included in rent.
  • Commercially operated student apartments – furnished apartment or studio apartment, many with common facilities and recreation services. Cost of gas, electricity and water may not be included in the rent.

This short video highlights the things you need to consider when choosing housing to suit you.

The Student Housing Database

The VU Student Housing Database provides a list of shared housing and rental property vacancies for VU students.

Enrolled students

  1. Register using your VU email.
  2. You will receive an email to verify your registration.
  3. Log in to the database and search the listings.

New students

If you haven't enrolled with us yet, you can register using your private email address.

  1. Register using your personal email.
  2. Upload your letter of offer (electronic confirmation of enrolment) through ASKVU.
  3. We will email you back details on how to login.
  4. Log in to the database and search the listings.

When is the best time to search for housing?

After you have accepted your place in your course, you should begin by preparing a budget and identifying what type of accommodation will best suit your needs. If you are considering a VU residence (UniLodge @ VU) you need to apply on-line and pay the application fee.

Country and interstate students looking for private housing are advised to make a plan to come to Melbourne a month before university commences. Once in Melbourne inspect the offers you have downloaded from the student housing database or apply for rental properties.

International students looking for private share accommodation or private rental properties are advised to budget and plan to take temporary accommodation on arrival for a minimum of one to two weeks to give you time to inspect the offers you have downloaded from the student housing database or apply for rental properties.

Where can I get more housing information?

The Student Housing Guide provides practical housing information and checklists to assist students when looking for housing. Contact us for more information.

Homestay, commercial, temporary & emergency accommodation

We have information about homestay, private rentals and other accommodation options in Victoria, In addition we have information and options for emergency or crisis accommodation and support.

International student support


International students can obtain support and information on accommodation and providers, legal or health issues, general wellbeing and safety by contacting Study Melbourne Student Centre (SMSC).

Office hours Monday to Friday 9am-5pm

599 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne
Email: info@studymelbourne.vic.gov.au
Phone: Free call* 1800 056 449 (*except from mobiles)


Homestay provides a cultural exchange between you and a local family or individual (called a Host). You live as a guest in the host's home. Unlike many other accommodation options you do not need to pay a bond, find furniture, sign a lease or search for a property.

Living in a supportive family environment, you are provided with a clean furnished room which includes items like a bed, desk, wardrobe, chair and a study lamp, access to bathroom and laundry facilities and meal services. Utilities (electricity, gas and water etc.) are also included.

Hosts offer ongoing support and can show you around the local area including nearby facilities such as banks, post office, shops and public transport.

Victoria University's preferred homestay provider is Australian Homestay Network (AHN).

To find out more:

AHN students are covered by insurances and have a 24/7 emergency phone help. The minimum stay is 4 weeks.

Emergency & crisis housing

Contact the Crisis Help Network: Melbourne Homeless Services or Ask Izzy if you are:

  • homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • in urgent need of emergency accommodation
  • experiencing domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse.

Centrelink Community Engagement Officers assist people of all ages to get financial help and other services if they are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless.

Student apartments & real estate search sites

Purpose built student accommodation is often located close to educational institutions or the central business district. Student apartments offer furnished properties to rent. Cost of gas, electricity and water may be additional costs.

The commercial student apartments list includes a best practice tagging system, to help you identify operators that have met our ‘best practice’ checklist criteria. Contact us to find out more about the ‘best practice checklist.’

Houses, Flats, Units or Apartments to rent are usually unfurnished and you will need to budget to purchase furniture and equipment. The costs involved in establishing a rental property include rent paid in advance, bond (equal to one month's rent).

Utility companies may also charge for connection of gas, electricity, telephone or internet.

Always inspect the property before signing any lease or making payment of monies. Before visiting a property, print out a copy of the Housing Guide. It contains useful information including a copy of a property checklist.

All rental properties are subject to the Residential Tenancy laws so it is important to know your rights and responsibilities – fact sheets, information booklets and advice are available from Consumer Affairs Victoria and Tenants Union Victoria.

Lease contracts of 6 or 12 months are preferred by landlords but this may be negotiated. Landlords have a preference for 12 month contracts.

You can use the VU Student Housing Database, to search for vacant properties to rent.

You could also contact a real estate agent in the suburb in which you want to live or search online to find rental accommodation:

Temporary accommodation

Hotels, motels, hostels or backpacker accommodation may be a suitable alternative for short-term accommodation. UniLodge @ VU may also provide short term accommodation.

The Victorian Tourism Information Service provides information on backpacker, hostel and hotels in Melbourne. The HomeAway Australia and Stayz websites provide listings of holiday homes, villas and apartments to rent short term. The Wimdu website provides short term private listings.

Contact us

Ask a question in ASKVU
Phone: +61 3 9919 6100

Disclaimer: The commercial accommodation referred to on this site are not owned or operated by VU, and VU does not endorse any of these providers. The contact details are provided for students' convenience only. Any arrangements, financial or otherwise, are strictly between the student and the provider.