Financial information & support

Our professional staff provide financial information to help you manage your study expenses and living costs.

Make an appointment to talk to a senior adviser about your finances, use our handy resources and learn about your loan and scholarship options.

Scholarships & grants

Victoria University offers scholarships to help University and TAFE students with their living and education costs.

If you receive Youth Allowance, Austudy, or Abstudy, you may also be eligible for one of the following:

Learn more about our scholarships

Budget guidance & resources

There are many online resources to help you budget and save money. Here are some that we recommend.

General budgeting

Budget Your Money is a government website calculator that helps check:

  • where your money is going
  • if you are spending more than you can afford
  • that your money is going towards your priorities.

It allows you to enter weekly, fortnightly, monthly and annual expenses without the need to convert.

Our cost of living estimates will help you figure out how much it costs to live in Melbourne.

Accommodation finance resources

Check out our rental advice for information about bonds, tenancy rights, and selecting an affordable suburb near our campuses.

Other resources to help you reduce your living costs and ecological footprint:

Government assistance through Centrelink

The Australian Government provides payments to students who are studying, such as Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy etc. All of these payments have eligibility criteria and will require you to apply directly to Services Australia – Centrelink.

We've listed here the student payments available from the Australian Government. 

You can also use Centrelink's Payment & Service Finder to help find what payments you may be eligible for based on your circumstances.

If you are enrolled in a TAFE course at the level of Certificate IV or below, we strongly recommend that you apply for a Low Income Health Care Card. It provides you with access to reduced TAFE Tuition fees. Even if you are not eligible for other student payments, you may still be eligible for a Low Income Heath Care Card.


Trade Support Loans (Australian Apprentices)

The Australian Government provides a Australian Apprentices Trade Support Loans Program. The loans are paid in instalments totalling up to $21,542 over four years to help apprentices with everyday costs while they complete their apprenticeship.

No Interest Loan Scheme

The No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) offer loans of up to $1500 to people on low incomes. Repayments are made over 12–18 months.

The loans are available for essential goods and services, such as:

  • household items (e.g. fridges, washing machines and furniture)
  • medical procedures and dental services
  • education essentials (e.g. computers and text books)
  • car repairs or registration
  • some other items as requested.

Tax return advice

Victoria University hosts a free Tax Help Service until October, in which a volunteer trained by the Australian Tax Office (ATO) provides one-to-one assistance and support to help students complete their tax return online.

For the most up-to-date information, contact the ATO directly on 13 28 61 (or through an interpreter on 13 14 50). You can determine if you are eligible for the Tax Help program and what your assistance options are.

VU's volunteer is taking face-to-face appointment bookings Wednesdays and Fridays, from 12pm to 4pm at Footscray Park Campus.

Please note, students must wear a face mask when attending the appointment.

Book tax-help appointment

To prepare make sure you have created a myGov account and linked it to the ATO. Doing this will make for a better experience and provide you with greater options for assistance.

The ATO will also extend help across to clients who cannot lodge online and can support them with questions around Tax Pack lodgement and any other situation that may arise.

Legal advice

If you need community legal services, please contact the following organisations for support:

Appointments for financial advice

Make an appointment with a Senior Adviser

For personalised support, you can make an appointment with a Senior Adviser for assistance with issues that are impacting your studies.

Come to talk to us about finances, housing, welfare, Centrelink and other issues.

Book an adviser appointment