Master of TESOL
- Are an Australian or New Zealand citizen; or
- Are an Australian permanent resident; or
- Hold a permanent Australian humanitarian visa
- are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident; and
- do not hold a permanent Australian humanitarian visa; and
- are not a New Zealand citizen; and
- hold a temporary visa.
Visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website for more information about studying in Australia on a student visa.
VU course code:AMTL
This course is available on campuses run by Hanoi University in Vietnam.
Delivery mode:BlockFace to FaceOnline
Duration:1.5 years full time or longer for part time
The offshore Master of TESOL course provides students with relevant content and research based learning opportunities to allow them to become effective teachers and managers of English to Speakers of Other Languages programs in Vietnam.
If you intend to study this degree in Melbourne, take a look at our Master of TESOL Education delivered at our Footscray Park campus.
Graduates of this course will be able to:
- Analyse English language learners’ needs;
- Design, implement, assess and evaluate English as a second or additional language curricula and pedagogical programs that are locally, nationally and internationally applicable;
- Implement English as a second or additional language learning programs that are underpinned by researched principles of language teaching and a thorough knowledge of the systems of the English language;
- Undertake applied research relevant to their professional responsibilities and interests in the area of TESOL;
- Apply the theoretical and practical learning opportunities provided in each unit of study to become accomplished TESOL practitioners;
- Utilise their enhanced teaching skills and understanding of educational processes to work effectively in second language contexts;
- Confidently seek employment opportunities for English as a second or additional language teachers in a wide range of local, national and international contexts;
- Extend their existing professional careers in education by achieving a recognised specialist area qualification;
- Demonstrate understanding of English as a second or additional language teaching profession in local, national and international contexts.
The Master of TESOL course provides offshore learners with opportunities to be employed in a range of TESOL contexts in a range of TESOL related teaching and managerial roles.
High achievers can also access further Higher Educational opportunities.
Find out more about pathways and credits.
Credit for skills and past study
If you have completed study with another university or institution and believe you are eligible to receive credit for skills and past study, you can apply for advanced standing.
Applications for advanced standing can be made after a discussion with your course coordinator or academic adviser.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
|1.||Critically review and theorise their understanding of fundamental principles of recent and applied language teaching and learning in a TESOL environment;|
|2.||Evaluate, implement and analyse English as a second or additional language current curricula and pedagogical programs that are locally, nationally and internationally applicable;|
|3.||Investigate and conceptually map English as a second or additional language learning programs that are underpinned by researched principles of language teaching and a thorough knowledge of the systems of the English language;|
|4.||Exhibit competence in a range of key knowledge areas in second language acquisition including curriculum development, learning approaches and assessment;|
|5.||Plan and execute substantial research and/or implement capstone experience relevant to their professional responsibilities and interests in the area of TESOL;|
|6.||Investigate and assess the role of social and cultural contexts in the English language teaching and learning , and generate adaptable solutions to complex problems in such contexts, and advocate the role of TESOL teachers for social responsibility;|
|7.||Develop and apply critical and analytical skills in relevant research projects, and communicate and transmit these ideas to peers;|
|8.||Apply and validate the theoretical and practical learning opportunities provided in each unit of study to become accomplished and autonomous TESOL practitioners;|
|9.||Implement their enhanced teaching skills and critically reflect on and innovate theory and professional practice in second language contexts.|
To complete the Master of TESOL students will be required to complete 144 credit points.
Students enter the program with the following entry prerequisites:
- After receiving 72 credit points advanced standing for completing the Graduate Diploma in TESOL from Hanoi University AND fulfilling Admission Requirements;
- After receiving 72 credit points advanced standing from Ho Chi Minh City Open University, Vietnam National University (or other universities or institutions at the Program Coordinator's discretion) AND fulfilling Admission requirements.
Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee you entry into this course.
Some courses receive more applications than the number of places available. In this situation we will also assess your education, work and other relevant experience.
- Other: A recognised degree in appropriate disciplines are required (1) successful completion of the Hanoi University Graduate Diploma in TESOL or successful completion of another postgraduate level TESOL course deemed by VU to be of equivalent standard to the VU Graduate Diploma in TESOL (2) to attend an interview with the Course Coordinator or nominee, (3) to submit a current version of their CV with at least a list of 3 referees and (4) to present a 200 word statement outlining why they are interested in undertaking this course, (5) successful completion of the units of the Graduate Diploma in TESOL with a minimum average of Distinction (70%/D) or equivalent, (6) to have current or recent working experience in an education or teaching environment.