Our staff in the College of Sport and Exercise Science have extensive experience and are enthusiastic about the courses they teach - they make studying with us a career-changing experience.
We are Australia’s largest provider of teaching programs in sport and exercise science, exercise rehabilitation, physical education, sport coaching, sport and recreation management, sport business,outdoor recreation, sport development, sport massage and fitness.
We have a playlist of videos on YouTube that showcase our courses, facilities and research.
Types of courses & careers
At Victoria University our courses range from secondary school starting level, through to Vocational & Further Education (VE/TAFE) and higher education. We are one of the few universities in Australia where you can go from TAFE to a degree and on to a masters or PhD. You can start with a certificate,diploma, degree or postgraduate studies – entering from various points and exiting when you 've achieved your goal.
The undergraduate degree courses in our college cover areas that will prepare you for a career in exercise science, sport science, coaching, teaching or human movement.
Depending on the path you take, your postgraduate studies could lead to a career as a researcher in industry, private or government organisations, registration as an Accredited Clinical Exercise Physiologist (registered with ESSA), or even to becoming a sport, exercise or health-related academic.
Outdoor Recreation, Education & Adventure Sports
We offer degrees in outdoor education and recreation that prepare students for careers in adventure tourism, environmental education, and leadership roles in the growing nature-based economy.
- The Bachelor of Outdoor Leadership teaches students about the natural environment through activities such as bushwalking and white-water rafting, and offers work experience with The Outdoor Education Group. Skills learnt here lead to work in adventure sports, environment education, nature tourism and related areas.
- The Bachelor of Outdoor Education and Environmental Science focuses on outdoor learning, including adventure activities and Indigenous knowlege, to establish skills for national-park management, natural-science work, ecotourism, adventure programs and other nature-based careers.
You will be provided with knowledge and skills in physical education through discipline specific studies in sport, exercise science and health.
Graduates from this course can gain careers in exercise and sport science, fitness and health and coaching. The course covers the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) discipline specialist area guidelines in secondary Physical Education and secondary Health, so that graduates of the Master of Teaching will be qualified to teach Health and Physical Education in secondary schools.
Students also complete a third discipline which could include specialisations such as:
- Outdoor Education.
Physical Education course options:
- Bachelor of Physical Education & Sport Science. Graduates can also progress into a Master of Teaching (Secondary Education) which covers all the requirements set out by the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) discipline specialist area guidelines in secondary physical education and secondary health, which will qualify you to teach in secondary schools.
- Physical Education (Seconday) is offered as a specialisation in the Bachelor of Education (P-12).
Our Bachelor of Sport Science has a major in Sport Coaching, which is designed to enable you to help other sportspeople achieve their best on the sporting field.
This course might lead you to becoming a sport coach, physical education teacher, sport development and community coaching officer, consultant or personal trainer.
- Bachelor of Sport Science (includes a major in either Sport Coaching, Sport Performance, or Human Movement).
Sport Science & Human Movement
These specialised undergraduate courses will prepare you for a career in exercise science, sport science or human movement.
Some career outcomes are exercise physiologist (non-accredited), sports coach, personal trainer, health and fitness instructor or exercise scientist (upon registration with ESSA).
Exercise Science, Sport Science, Human Movement & Physical Education course options:
- Bachelor of Exercise Science (Sport Practice)
- Bachelor of Exercise Science (Clinical Practice)
- Bachelor of Physical education and Sport Science
- Bachelor of Sport Science
- Bachelor of Sport Science (Human Movement) / Bachelor of Psychological Studies
- Bachelor of Sport Science & Human Movement / Bachelor of Sport Management
- Bachelor of Sport Management / Bachelor of Business.
Our double degrees incorporate courses in Psychology, Business and Youth Work.
Sport Management/Outdoor Recreation
Get qualified in leading outdoor adventure activities. These courses are designed to enable you to gain employment in the sport, exercise and active recreation sectors as administrators, managers, trainers and leaders.
You have the option to specialise in Sport and Active Communities or in Outdoor Recreation Leadership.
Graduates of Sport and Active Communities can enter a broad range of administrative, management and professional support positions in:
- governing bodies
- sports clubs
- sport facilities
- sport events
- local government
- community welfare agencies.
Graduates of Outdoor Recreation Leadership will have the skills to gain employment in the fields of:
- outdoor adventure
- adventure sports
- outdoor education
- corporate training.
Sport Management/Outdoor Recreation course options:
- Bachelor of Sport Management
- Bachelor of Sport Management / Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Sport Science (Human Movement) / Bachelor of Sport Management.
Postgraduate degrees & research
Our rich and vibrant research culture in the College of Sport and Exercise Science is internationally recognised with our large group of academic research scholars, post doctoral fellows, postgraduate and honours students.
Research degree options include all aspects of:
- sport and recreation
- exercise science
- physical education.
Find out more about how to apply for a research degree.
Coursework degrees are available in:
- Clinical Exercise Science and Rehabilitation
- Sport Business and Integrity
- Sports Science (Football Performance)
- Research - Applied Science, Arts and Doctor of Philosophy.
For further information about becoming a research student or guidance about possible project areas and supervisors, please contact:
Dr Andre Nelson
Sport Business & Integrity
Dr Eric Schwarz
Dr Fabio Serpiello
The Institute for Health and Sport