Family violence

Report a concern

If you or someone you know has experienced or witnessed any inappropriate or concerning behaviour you can report it – either anonymously or with contact details.

Family violence is any behaviour that controls or dominates a family member and causes them to fear for their own or other family members' safety or well-being.

It can include physical, sexual, psychological, verbal, emotional or economic abuse. Any situation that causes a child to hear, witness, or otherwise be exposed to the effects of those behaviours also falls into this category.

Broad family, past relationships and 'family-like' relationships are included in the law (Family Violence Protection Act 2008).

Seeking help

If you or someone you know has been the victim of discrimination or harrassment, you can report this behaviour and/or seek support from Safer Community. You can report the behaviour either anonymously or with your contact details by using the online form or you can contact Safer Community directly.

VU Counselling provides free and confidential support to VU Students. 

Immediate assistance
If you feel unsafe or threatened on campus, call security or the police:
VU Security: Call  +61 3 9919 6666
Police: Call 000

VU Counselling appointments:
Phone:  +61 3 9919 5400
More information: Counselling & mental health

Tips: Safety planning

Whether you want to stay in your relationship or leave, you are the best judge of your own safety. No matter what you decide, we can help you explore safety options, create a safety plan, and put in place safety measures to help reduce risk including access to aids, support or equipment.

Consider your options (below). For further information you can contact Safer Community.

Family violence support services

Seek help from a professional support service, such as: