This page provides useful resources for best-practice ethics and procedures in the protection of animal wellbeing in teaching and research.
Governing codes of practice
- National Framework of Ethical Principles in Gene Technology (2012) (for individuals working with genetically modified organisms, and for Institutional Biosafety and Research Ethics Committees)
- State Department of Environment and Primary Industries - Animal health and welfare site
- Part III of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 and Regulations 1997
- Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes 8th Edition (2013)
- Guidelines to promote the wellbeing of animals used for scientific purposes
- Guidelines for the treatment of marine mammals in field research
- Environmental research ethics : national principles and guidelines for the ethical conduct of research in protected and environmentally sensitive areas
- A guide to the care and use of Australian native mammals in research and teaching
- Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in the Care and Use of Nonhuman Animals in Research
- Guidelines for the ethical use of animals in research and teaching
- CCAC guidelines for choosing appropriate end-points in experiments using animals
- AVMA guidelines for euthanasia of animals (2013)
- Guidelines of the American Society of Mammalogists for the use of wild animals in research (2011)
- Guidelines for the care and use of animals in Victorian schools
Tutorials & short courses
- Experimental Design Assistant - a free resource to support researchers in the planning of animal experiments.
- The National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research
- Alternatives to Animal Testing - resources for researchers and technicians
- The Netherlands Centre to Alternatives to Animal Use
- Report of the Laboratory Animal Science Association Working Party, Laboratory Animals, 1990, vol. 24, pp. 97–130.
- Global standard for the transportation of live animals by air - The International Air Transport Association (IATA) live animals Regulations
- Australian mammals: biology and captive management, 2nd Edition (2007)