Yes, says Tamsin Mildenhall, Managing Lawyer of Victoria Legal Aid Western Suburbs Regional Office. Herself a graduate of VU law school, Tamsin now offers hands-on work placements to current students to ensure they are well prepared for the realities of legal practice.
"I grew up in Melbourne’s west, went to a local high school and wanted to continue my studies there so I picked VU to complete my Bachelor of Laws (Honours). I have also chosen to practice law in the west for my whole career so far in order to help my local community.
In my role with Victoria Legal Aid I work with VU law students who gain practical experience as clerks. They shadow our solicitors at Sunshine and Werribee and see what’s involved in the day-to-day running of the Magistrates Court. VU students also run a general legal clinic where they assist with administrative duties, and support our Infringements Clinic through work with our civil lawyer.
VU prepares students for the realities of legal practice through their real world approach and placement opportunities. The courses are practical and focused on workplace experience, as well as relevant theory, which is invaluable when entering the profession. The network of alumni is also constantly expanding which offers great industry networking opportunities for newly graduated students."
Want a career in law? You can study:
- Diploma of Legal Services
- Advanced Diploma of Legal Practice
- Bachelor of Legal Services
- Bachelor of Laws and six different combined degree options.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (Graduate Entry)
Hear from our law graduates
- Iman Osman gained amazing practical experience during her degree that helped her win a highly competitive graduate position.
- Joseph Hafoka is finding success in his law degree thanks to the support of a VU scholarship and the First Year Model.
- Amanda McDermott won the Supreme Court Prize as the dux of Victoria Law School.
- Ante Sentić turned his practical experience as a seasonal clerk into a graduate lawyer position.