Victoria University recently hosted the fourth Volunteer for You (V4U) Day event with 300 students and staff volunteering across 30 different projects.
The Maribyrnong Mayor, Cr Grant Miles, and VU Vice Chancellor, Peter Dawkins, launched the vibrant event by highlighting the importance of giving back to the community.
Volunteer teams participated in a variety of projects, including:
- painting at local community centres
- organising a launch event for Kids Off The Kerb
- visiting residents at Footscray Aged Care
- weeding at the Stony Creek Reserve
- facilitating activities for an All Abilities Sports Day.
Seven projects were done as part of the ten year VU-Maribyrnong City Council Footscray University Town initiative which aims to:
- revitalise Footscray,
- build community participation
- provide long lasting benefits to residents, traders, workers and VU students and staff.
A huge thank you and congratulations to all of our volunteers who took time out of their busy schedules to assist with V4U Day.
The unique event is designed as a way to give back to valued community organisations and celebrate volunteerism.
Volunteer For You (V4U) is Victoria University’s largest one day volunteer event and is highly recognised. In 2012, V4U was awarded the Best University Event by the Australian Association of Campus Activities (AACA).