Professor Emerita, Work-based Education Research Centre
Berwyn Clayton has had over twenty five years experience in the vocational education and training sector. During that time Berwyn has worked as a teacher, curriculum development manager, professional developer and research centre director.
A founding member of the Australian Vocational Education and Training Research Association, Berwyn was the Association's president from 2000 to 2004.
Her research expertise and knowledge of vocational education has been acknowledged by her inclusion in national forums such as the:
- OECD Review and Systemic Innovation Study: Experts Forum
- Standards Australia Committee for the development of the Australian Standard for Non-formal learning
- National VET Workforce Development Managers Network
- Skills Australia Strategic Industry Forum
She is currently serving as:
- an expert member of the National Skills Standards Council
- a member of Innovation and Business Skills Australia's Education Sector Advisory Committee
- chair of the IBSA TAE10 Professional Development Options National Project Reference Group.
Berwyn has published and presented widely on issues critical to vocational education such as organizational culture and change, VET teacher qualifications and professional development, competency-based assessment, recognition of prior learning and flexible delivery.
Clayton, B., Jonas, P., Harding, R., Harris, M., Toze, M., (2013) Industry currency and professional obsolescence; what can industry tell us? National Centre for Vocational Education Research, Adelaide.
Smith, L. & Clayton, B. (2011) Student Insights and Perspectives on the Validation of Learning Outcomes. In: Validierung von Lernergebnissen – Recognition and Validation of Prior Learning. W.Bertelsmann Verlag, Germany, pp. 443-460.
Clayton, B., Lewanski, R., Pancini, G. & Schutt, S. (2010) Enhancing the Retention of Young People to Year 12, Especially Through Vocational Skills. Project Report. Victoria University, Work-based Education Research Centre, Footscray Victoria.
Clayton, B., Meyers, D., Bateman, A. & Bluer, R. (2010) Practitioner Expectations and Experiences with the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (TAA40104). Other. National Centre for Vocational Education Research, Adelaide.
Harris, R. & Clayton, B. (2010) Impact in vocational education and training research: the case of the Australian VET Research Consortium. International Journal of Training Research, 8 (1). pp. 6-24.
- Vocational Education and Training: Policy and Practice
- Organisational Culture and Change in Education and Training
Co-supervision of 1 PhD student
2013: NCVER: Competency completions: impact on assessors, assessment and workplace supervisors.
2013: BHP Billiton Iron Ore: Recruitment processes: meta-analysis.
2011-2013: NCVER: Building Researcher Community of Practice.
2012: DEEWR & Ithaca Group: Employability skills framework.
2011: BHP Billiton Iron Ore: Review of research on effective work-based learning, retention and transfer.
2011: NCVER: Industry currency and professional obsolescence: what can industry tell us?
2011: NCVER: Upskilling VET practitioners.
2008-2010: NCVER: Building Researcher Community of Practice.
2009: Australian College of Educators: Enhancing retention of young people to Year 12 especially through vocational skills.
2008: Corrections Victoria: Review of Evaluation Framework for the Industry Skills Centre Pilot.
2008: NCVER: Practitioner expectations and experiences of Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
- Australian College of Educators
- Australian Vocational Education and Training Research Association (AVETRA)
- Victoria University Chancellor's Medal 2012
- NCVER Researcher of the Year 2011
- Australian Education Union Public Education Award 2008
- Australian College of Educators Fellow 2001
- National Institute of Staff and Organizational Development University of Texas, Austin Excellence Award 1996
Areas of expertise
- Competency-based assessment
- Organisational culture and change
- Program evaluation
- Research in learning for the workplace
- Vocational education policy and practice
- Workforce development