Andrew is a lecturer within the First Year College. He has been involved in first-year programs for 25 years – firstly as unit coordinator and lecturer in the Business Information Systems Unit, and latterly in the suite of Business Challenge units as coordinator and lecturer.
The Business Challenge units focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and collaborative learning as well as development of the student’s career progression.
Andrew has coordinated and managed large teams of sessionals and delivery of this first year unit in Sunway, Sydney and Liaoning. Andrew has delivered other undergraduate and postgraduate units in all Business College off-shore sites.
Andrew has authored or co-authored more than 50 journal or conference papers, and now applies this research in his teaching role. An example of this is the implementation and adaption of Michaelson’s Ready Assurance Process into the first year Business Challenge unit.
Andrew has had a life-long association with VU, firstly as a student at FIT, secondly as a parent of an FIT student and finally as an employee of FIT/VU for over 25 years.
Refereed journal articles
- Stein, A., Licciardi, R. (2012) The Challenges of introducing a Generic Graduate Skills Unit into a Business Degree in Malaysia, Information Systems Education Journal 10 (4), 14
- Stein, A. (2009) Delivering SAP Information Systems Courses 9116 Kilometres from Home, Information Systems Education Journal, 7 (39)
- Hawking P., Stein A., Wyld D., & Foster S., 2004, E-PROCUREMENT: Is the Ugly Duckling Actually a Swan Down Under? Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 16 (2)
- Stein, A., Scollary, A., & Craig, A., (1997) Preparatory IT Practices & Skills of Transition Business Students, Australian Journal of Educational Technology, pp.40- 53, 13 (1), Winter 1997
- Stein, A., 1995, Re-engineering the Executive: The 4th generation of EIS, Information & Management, no. 29, pp. 55-62
Refereed book chapters
- Stein, A., Hawking, P., & Wyld, DC (2008) A reverse auction case study: the final chapter, Best Practices for Online Procurement Auctions, 281-296
- Stein, A., Hawking, P., & McCarthy, B (2006) Education: Hosting, Visiting, and Certifying, Enterprise Systems Education in the 21st Century, 41
- Stein, A., Nikakis, C., Bentley J., & Jovanovic R (2005) The Industry and Education Nexus, Information and Communication Technologies and Real-Life Learning Tom van Weert and Arthur Tatnall (eds), Springer, New York, USA, pp 255-262
- McCarthy, B., Hawking, P. and Stein, A. (2004), Second Wave ERP Education, Information Systems Education, 15 (3), pp 327-332
- Hawking Paul, Stein Andrew, Wyld David (2003) The 20% Solution?: A Case Study on the Efficacy of Reverse Auctions, Management Research News, 26 (5)
- Stein, A., & Licciardi, R. (2012) Student Perceptions and Importance of Generic/Graduate Skills, ANZAM Pending
- Stein, A., Licciardi, R., & De-Silva, G. (2010) Issues in Developing a Transnational Generic-Skills Business unit for Malaysia, TARC International Conference 2010, TARC International Conference on Learning and Teaching, November, pp. 47-52
- Stein, A., Licciardi, R. (2010) Delivering a Generic Skills Business Unit in Malaysia Using a Transnational Delivery Model, INCULT Conference 2010, pp. June 2010
- Stein, A., & Hawking, P. (2009) Merging Corporate Enterprise Systems. CONFENIS09 Conference Enterprise Information Systems, Gyor, Hungary, June 2009
- Stein, A. (2007) Delivering SAP Information Systems Courses 9116 Kilometers from Home ion The Proceedings of ISECON 2007, Infromation Systems Education Conference 07 AITP, November 2007
For a full list of publications on the Victoria University Research Repository (VURR).
Tourism Scoping Study, 2005, entitled Benchmarking Location Based Systems, will explore the current state-of-the-art in location based systems (LBS) in the Australian tourism industry. The aim is to identify key players, current trends and key areas for development, which will provide the foundations for future projects in mobility and sustainable tourism for this team and others. The initiative is a joint Monash/Victoria University/University of Queensland endeavour. Linda Dawson a co-team leader for Monash. Funding of $40000 has been awarded for research assistance, focus groups and team workshops.
Certification & Information System Curriculum, Collaborative Research Scheme 2003, Nikakis Con, Stein Andrew, Jovanovic Rob, totalling $2500
ERP Systems Consolidation, Collaborative Research Scheme 2003, Hawking Paul, Stein Andrew, McGrath Mike, $5000
- Teaching at secondary school, TAFE and in Higher Education
- Information systems consultant
- Computer training
Areas of expertise
- Blended learning techniques and approaches
- Enterprise planning systems implementation
- Transition to higher education