In June and July VU's Institute for Sustainability & Innovation is hosting an Environmentally Sustainable Manufacturing program for small to medium sized manufacturing companies.
This program consists of workshops and consultations to carry out an environmental diagnosis of your operation.
We aim to identify opportunities to:
- reduce energy (up to 50%), water (up to 30%) and waste (up to 30%)
- increase efficiency
- save money and achieve economic competitiveness
- make environmental improvements.
The program includes:
- one on one expert consulting to carry out an eco-audit on your (including recommendation report)
- training in principles of environmental sustainability and regulatory responsibilities
- identification and quantification of all your waste streams (solid, liquid, gaseous, energy and rejects) and development of a Baseline Sustainability Measure
- development of an Environmental Action Plan to make your operations more sustainable and efficient
- development of cost effective ways of tackling difficult environmental issues.
The program is spread over one month and is broken into practical steps.
- Initial visit (2 hours): a meeting to find out about your business and its specific sustainability, energy and waste issues.
- Workshop 1 - The basics and the approach (4-5 hours): You'll develop a basic grounding in environmental awareness, your responsibilities and the approach to managing a sustainable operation. This covers:
- carbon footprint
- compliance check list
- eco audit
- life cycle assessment
- environmental economics
- energy and waste reduction and action plan.
- Setting the baseline sustainability measure (3 hours): We provide tools and support for you to investigate your own operation and construct a baseline sustainability measure. This provides the basis for the eco audit and allows you to assess your progress over time.
- Eco audit - consultant on site visit (4-5 hours): A consultant visits each factory to assess your sustainability status. We support the eco audit with recommendations, which provides the basis for you to develop your environmental action plan.
- Workshop 2 - Action plans (4-5 hours): Additional waste reduction tools, practical hints and approaches in each opportunity area - energy, water, wastes. A monitoring approach is also suggested. You also have the opportunity to discuss your action plan and have it reviewed by the consultant and other participants.
- Final plant visit (2-3 hours): The consultant visits each company to finalise the action plan, provide expert input on implementation and have the plan endorsed by company leadership.
About the program facilitator
Darrell Reeve of Cleaner Production Australia will facilitate this program. Darrell has over 40 years’ experience working with industry on environmental sustainability, both as an expert consultant and previously as a regulator with the Environment Protection Authority. He is widely sought after internationally as a consultant and trainer.
Cost, location and dates
Cost: $1375 (includes GST) per company (normally $2,750 but reduced due to the subsidy of $1,500 per eligible company from the Victorian Department of State Development, Business and Innovation).
Cost is payable by cheque with registration to: Victoria University - ISI.
Location: VU's Werribee Campus and at your company's plant
Dates: July/August 2014
The first workshop date will be 9 July 2014.
There are limited places available - book early to avoid disappointment!
To register for this program, please send the following details by email to Darrell Reeve on firstname.lastname@example.org:
- business name
- contact person
- phone number
For further information about the program please contact Darrell Reeve directly.