We have a range of English language and introductory courses for international and domestic students. Our courses will help you:

  • improve your general English
  • prepare to study a VU or Victoria University Polytechnic course.

International students

VU English, Victoria University’s English language centre, offers a variety of English language courses for international students at our City Campus.

  • General English courses – for individuals, industry and professionals who want to improve their general English speaking, reading, writing and listening skills.
  • English for Academic Purposes (EAP) – for students with advanced English who want to start studying a course in Australia at TAFE, undergraduate or postgraduate level.

We offer study tours for foreign universities and institutions. You can improve your English language skills and have a unique Australian experience.

Contact VU English for more information about English courses for international students.

International foundations program

VU's International foundations program is comparable in standard to an Australian year 12.

The course offers a guaranteed pathway towards first year undergraduate degrees and HE diploma, provided students meet the requirements of the agreed pathway.

Domestic (Australian) students

Victoria University Polytechnic, our TAFE division, offers English preparation and foundation studies courses for local students who are Australian residents.

We are one of Victoria's largest providers of English as an Additional Language (EAL) courses.

  • The Western Melbourne English Program (WMEP) offers English language and foundation courses for students from non-English speaking and English speaking backgrounds.
  • Our English preparation courses are beginner courses for people from non-English speaking backgrounds with limited English. They include English as an Additional Language (EAL) courses and Courses in Spoken and Written English (CSWE).
  • General Education for Adults courses help native English language speakers develop reading, writing and numeracy skills.
  • Our Transition Education and Work Education certificates are for young people with special learning needs.
  • Adults returning to study can complete the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) to increase their options for further study.
  • The Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL), for Year 11 and 12 students, provides practical work-related experience across a range of study areas.

Find out more about the range of English preparation and foundation studies courses at Victoria University Polytechnic.

Get in touch

Chat will reopen:
Fri, 9am – 6pm (AEST)
Local time: Thursday 30 June 11:25pm AEST AEST