The 2014 Community Sport and Recreation Awards winners have been announced.
Minister for Sport and Recreation, Damian Drum joined Victoria's marathon legend Steve Moneghetti at the MCG awards ceremony to present awards in nine categories to local community sport champions making a real difference in Victorian communities.
"The Victorian Coalition Government's Sport and Recreation Awards provide the perfect opportunity to showcase some of the dedicated individuals, teams, clubs and organisations around the state that embody the true spirit of community sport and recreation," Mr Drum said.
The Victoria University sponsored Service to Sport and Active Recreation award was presented to Beverley Gaudion, from Calisthenics Victoria.
Beverley has been a coach and volunteer for Calisthenics Victoria for the past 45 years. She founded the Ashgrove Calisthenics Club over 40 years ago and plans and manages the annual Calisthenics State championships. Beverley's services to calisthenics have had an extremely positive impact on the sport and its participants.
The award was presented by Michael Clayton, Acting Dean and Manager - Industry and Community Engagement for the College of Sport & Exercise Science and the Minister for Sport & Recreation.
Alongside Beverley, the winners of the Victorian Government's 2014 Community Sport and Recreation Awards include:
- Minister's Award - Life and Learning Centre - The Huddle
- Young Volunteer of the Year - Jason Holmes, Westerfolds Squash Club
- Innovation in Facility Design Award - Old Beechy Rail Trail
- Community Umpire or Referee/Official of the Year - Lucinda Lopes, AFL Victoria
- Outdoor Active Recreation Initiative - Macedon Ranges Running Club
- Welcoming and Inclusive Award (sponsored by AFL Victoria) - Sailability Victoria
- Community Coach of the Year - Sue Sofarnos, Newport Ladies Lacrosse Club
- Community Sporting Club of the Year (sponsored by La Trobe University) - Newtown City Hockey Club
Mr Drum personally thanked all the winners and finalists for their significant contribution to community sport and recreation, declaring their passion and commitment to be "inspirational".
Find more information about the Victorian Government's 2014 Community Sport and Recreation Awards.