Dr De Fazio has a solid background in academia and community involvement. She has worked in tertiary education for over 25 years in the areas of intercultural management, languages, teacher education, academic development and research. She has worked at various universities across Australia and has managed a range of projects focused on multiculturalism, student retention and engagement, languages education, educational development, mentoring and leadership, and blended learning.
Dr De Fazio is an active member of the VU community, as well as the wider community. She has served two terms as a Commissioner of the Victorian Multicultural Commission.
Among other roles, she is a:
- Board member of Multicultural Arts, Victoria
- Ambassador, Asian Football Cup Community
- Ambassador, Melbourne Victory Community
- Board Member, Edmund Rice Community and Refugee Services.
As Manager, Cultural Diversity she oversees the University Cultural Diversity Strategy which is a University-wide commitment to inclusive intercultural engagement through all aspects of the University experience.
De Fazio, T. (2017) 'La lingua italiana in Australia: un panoramica' in Ditalis Risponde N.10. Series Editori, Diadori, P., Università per Stranieri Siena. Guerra Edizioni, Perugia, Italy.
De Fazio, T., Ketonen, J., Crock, M. (2012) 'Quality Assurance at Open Universities Australia', in Jung, I., Latchem, C. and Herrington, J., Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Distance Education, Routledge.
De Fazio, T. Being me: Knowing you.
Curriculum Kit includes: 1) Student Book 2) Student Homework Book 3) Teacher Manual 4) Parent Guide 5) Resource Leader Handbook.
Australian Human Rights Commission and Community Languages Australia, 2010. ISBN: 978-1-921-449-14-7.
De Fazio, T. (2002) Studying Part-time without Stress, Allen & Unwin, Sydney. ISBN: 978-1-86508-646-0
De Fazio, T. (1999) Studying in Australia: A Guide for International Students, Allen & Unwin, Sydney. ISBN 978-186-448-8869
Invited as speaker
De Fazio, T. (2018) Developing a Cultural Diversity Strategy for your Organisation. ISANA, Melbourne.
De Fazio, T. (2018) What’s culture got to do with leadership? Student Leadership Conference, Melbourne.
De Fazio, T. (2018) Culture shock and intercultural awareness. Universita`di Macerata, Italy May.
De Fazio, T. (2018) Keynote address: Intercultural Literacies for the Secondary School Classroom. Annual Modern Greek Language Teachers Association. Graduate House. Melbourne, June.
De Fazio, T. (2018) Keynote address: Developing interculturality for Primary and Early Childhood Students. Annual Modern Greek Language Teachers Association. Melbourne Museum. Melbourne, May.
De Fazio, T. & Henderson, F. (2017) Educational Leadership in Improving University Practice: A Mentoring Framework for Novice Academics and Expert University Educationalists. World Education Day Conference, Dalian, China. Sept 27-29.
De Fazio, T. (2016) Keynote speaker: The power of women’s voices. NEMBC 2016 Women’s Forum, Multicultural Hub. 16 July.
De Fazio, T. (2016) Panel presenter and facilitator. Unconscious bias in academia. Gender Summit. School of Engineering and Built Environment, Deakin University. 16 June.
De Fazio, T. (2016) The inclusive community languages classroom: Strategies for including all students. ESAV Conference. 9 July.
De Fazio, T. (2015) Workshops: Integrating digital technology in the classroom & Student retention strategies. ESAWA Perth. 1 September.
Response to the Government’s proposed changes to the Racial Discrimination Act, Victorian Multicultural Commission, 2014.
Social Cohesion Submission to the Victorian Government, Victorian Multicultural Commission, 2015.
State and Nature of Languages Education in Australian Schooling – Department of Education, Training and Workplace Relations. Research Centre for Languages and Cultures Education, University of South Australia. 2006 – 2007. Published March, 2008
Intercultural Language Teaching and Learning in Practice (ILTLP) Project – Department of Education, Training and Workplace Relations. Research Centre for Languages and Cultures Education, University of South Australia. 2006-2008. Published March, 2009.
Families getting to know their medicines, National Prescribing Service and Federation of Ethnic Communities Councils of Australia (FECCA), 2005 -2006.
The Future in the Past by Archimede Fusillo, A study of return migration to Italy. Italian Services Institute of Australia. 2013.
The Belonging Project, RMIT 2012: Phase 2: Focus on the First Year Experience. Report Published June 2013.
Key projects on themes of social cohesion and student diversity
- De Fazio, T. & Nihil, C. (2014). Inclusive teaching practices. Deakin University.
- Collaborative development of a massive open online course (MOOC) with Macquarie University as part of an OLT Fellowship project headed by Assoc. Prof. Kym Fraser.
- Development of a series of resources on themes that weave intercultural awareness and competencies with academic literacies to support teaching at VU. The aim is to also showcase these as part of the MOOC.
- Design and development of the mentoring program Learning through Teaching Program (LTTP) which involves experienced and novice academics.
- Inclusive strategies adopted through the ASD delivered units for PhD students (English for Graduate Researchers – UGR 7008 and Conceptualising/Contextualising Research – ROP8001).
- Development of the unit Dynamics of Diversity for Inclusive Learning and Teaching (EDU60005) as part of Swinburne University’s Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching.
- DEECD - Multicultural Education – Professional Development program on Values in second language teaching as well as other themes for the South Eastern Region (DEET).
- The Belonging Project, RMIT 2012: Phase 2: Focus on the First Year Experience. Report Published June 2013.
Teaching guides & resources
De Fazio, T. (2018) 'Teaching Today's Diverse Learners' in Contemporary Approaches to Learning (MOOC online course), Consortia of Australian Universities, ACAD.
De Fazio, T. (series editor). (2013) Guides to Global Learning Outcomes, Deakin Learning Futures, Deakin University.
De Fazio, T. (series editor). (2013) Inclusive Teaching Practices, in the series Teaching Resources, Deakin Learning Futures, Deakin University.
De Fazio, T. (series editor). (2013) Global Citizenship, in the series Guides to Global Learning Outcomes, Deakin Learning Futures, Deakin University.
De Fazio, T. (editing and development) (2011) Series of Teaching resources on issues such as Development of Language skills, Cross-cultural communication etc, University of Melbourne.
De Fazio, T. and Pepin, M. (2017). A practical approach to developing intercultural literacy in the classroom. MLTAV. May.
De Fazio, T. (2016) Learning through teaching: Building a mentoring community around PhD students as academic apprentices. Postgraduate Student Experience National Symposium. Bond University. 7 April.
De Fazio, T. (2015) Academic apprenticeship: Developing novice academic and teaching skills through a focussed mentoring program. International Institute of Economic and Social Sciences – Teaching and Learning (IISES). Florence, Italy.
De Fazio, T. (2015) Teacher education for global citizenship: A case study of foreign language teachers preparing our young learners for new brave, new globalised world. International Institute of Economic and Social Sciences – Teaching and Learning (IISES). Florence, Italy.
De Fazio, T. (2015) Leadership in Community Language Schools – A strategic approach to increasing student retention and participation. CLA How far have we come – Where are we heading? Ethnic Schools Victoria. RMIT. Melbourne. (Invited speaker)
De Fazio, T. (2015) Enabling deep learning through collaborative Inquiry in Language learning classrooms. MLTAV Conference, Melbourne. (Invited speaker)
De Fazio, T. (2011) A review of processes and identification of challenges in student engagement: A Retention Strategy for Open Universities Australia.
De Fazio, T. (2011) Devising an e-Learning strategy for the Faculty of Business and Economics. University of Melbourne.
Henderson, F., Dixon, J., De Fazio, T., Best, G. (2005, June) Improving Language and Learning Support for Offshore Students : AVCC Project Report, Victoria University.
Editorial committee member
International Journal of Learning Technologies (IJLT) Inderscience Publishers. (Editor: Lorna Uden) 2002– 2007.
Committee Member, International Scientific Advisory Board, EDULEARN 2015 - ongoing.
Journal of the First Year Experience and Students in Transition (Editor: Joshua Gold), 2002 – ongoing.
EduLearn (International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies). International Scientific Advisory Board Member, 2015.
Higher Education Research and Development (HERD) Journal, Taylor and Francis, 2015- current.
Higher Education Research and Development (HERD) Journal, Taylor and Francis, 2010- 2011.
Postgraduate research students
Thomson, Max (2018) Factors of self-concept of ESL Adult Migrants in Language Learning. Masters of Education.
Senfield, Ricky (2018) Using high yield teaching and learning instructional strategies in graduate teaching practice. Masters of Education.
Ciabatti, Natasa (2016) Developing a policy on languages for Australia: Considerations, barriers and opportunities. Masters of Education.
Dorkota, Marriann (2015-2016) A case study of Literature Circles in an English language school for new arrivals in Australian secondary education. Masters of Education.
PhD supervison: Natasa Ciabatti. Developing an intercultural orientation to language teaching: A comparative study of teacher's perceptions and experiences in Italian and Victorian schools (working title).
- 2015 Technology Enhanced Learning Grant, Victoria University ($20,000)
- OLT Extension Grant – Peer Assisted Teaching Scheme. With Dr. Jo-Anne Kelder (UTAS). Initiating the Learning through Teaching Program.
- 2013 HEPP Grant The development of educational development models to support the development of inclusive teaching practices. Research partner: Equity and Diversity, Deakin University
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development LOTE Training and Retraining Program. Successful grant recording spanning 6 years.
Awards & achievements
- Vice-Chancellor Recognition Award for contribution to the area of teacher education at Victoria University, 2007
- Award for Recognition of Outstanding contribution by the Modern Language Teacher Association of Victoria, 2007
- ACER (2006) Teacher Education Accreditation: A Review of National and International Trends and Practices. This report showcased Dr De Fazio’s LOTE Teacher Education Program as a best practice example.
- Victorian Government – Research Institute on Social Cohesion (ROISC).
- Ministerial Advisory Council for a Multilingual and Multicultural Victoria (MAC-M&MV)
- Department of Education, Employment & Early Childhood Working Group Member for the Victorian Government’s:
- Vision for English as a Second or Additional (ESL/EAL) Education
- Civics, Citizenship and Multicultural Education
- Languages Education
- New and Emerging Communities Leadership Program, Office for Multicultural Affairs, Victoria (Reference group member)
- Modern Languages Teacher Association, Victoria (Committee member).
- Commissioner, Victorian Multicultural Commission
- Chair, Regional Advisory Council. Barwon-South West. Victorian Multicultural Commission
- Ambassador, Love of Languages
- Ambassador, Melbourne Victory Football Club Community Ambassador
- Ambassador, Asian Cup (Football)
Appearances in the media
Dr De Fazio has had articles and interviews in a range of media including SBS, RAI, The Age and Il Globo.
VU launches cultural diversity strategy (2018), Star Weekly, 23 May
When having a conversation about cultural background is awkward (2018), Radio National program - Life Matters, 15 March.
Cultural Diversity, Learning Teaching and Innovation
Areas of expertise
- Intercultural literacies
- Diversity and inclusive teaching practices
- Academic literacies
- Learning and teaching pedagogy
- Second/foreign language pedagogy
- student retention
- transition and engagement