Shuyan Huo has worked extensively in social and economic research and analysis over the past decade. Prior to joining CIRES she was a Principal Analyst in the Victorian Department of Education and Training (VDET), and made significant contributions to VDET strategy and policy development and investment decisions.
Through leading a variety of analytical projects in VDET over the last 5 years, Shuyan has developed in-depth knowledge of government education context and policy settings. This includes student achievement, engagement and wellbeing, school funding and performance, and student transition (including early school leavers).
Shuyan’s other areas of expertise include:
- In-depth understanding of student assessment data (such as NAPLAN, AusVELs, and PISA) and other major administrative databases and surveys for Victorian students and schools
- Extensive experience in analysing large, complex and diverse datasets using sophisticated and contemporary analytical tools and techniques, such as SAS, JMP and SQL
- Ability and experience in using complex statistical techniques, such as multivariate analysis and multi-level modelling techniques
- Ability to present and communicate complex concepts or technical findings to non-technical audience.
Areas of expertise
- Quantitative research
- School performance and school effect
- Student achievement
- student engagement
- Student wellbeing