- Primary and Secondary Teaching (Lowther Hall Anglican Grammar)
- Victoria University Fitness and Aquatics Centre (Duty Manager and AUSTSWIM Aquatics Educator)
Rachael Beatson is Teaching Focused Academic within the First Year College. Rachael teaches across several education, physical education, health and psychology units. Rachael started her career teaching secondary physical education and health at Lowther Hall Anglican Grammar, and now has an immense passion for teaching at tertiary level.
Rachael’s philosophy of teaching is to provide an interactive classroom environment, where students are encouraged to express their own ideas and be active learners in their own education. The pedagogy approach taken is getting to know her student’s strengths and weaknesses and build a professional rapport with them, enabling open communication.
Rachael’s aim as a teacher is to assist students to become lifelong learners by linking the curriculum and learning to everyday life experiences within the teaching profession, while challenging them to undertake a deeper level of thinking. Rachael wants to equip her students with ICT skills, knowledge and skills required for the 21st century and employment. Most importantly, Rachael wants her passion for teaching to be expressed and to inspire her students to have a ‘growth mindset’ on what they can achieve.
Areas of expertise
- Physical Education & Sport
- Fundamental Motor/Movement Skills
- Adapted Physical Education (Disability)
- Incusion and Diversity
- Women in sport
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)
- Peak Phys Ed
- Life-saving Victoria First Aid/CPR
- First Year College Award for Excellence in Inclusion and Diversity 2020
- Australian Award for university teaching – First Year College Block Model teaching 2020
- VU Vice Chancellors Award – First Year College for Block Model implementation 2018
Refereed Journal Articles
- Young, Janet, Konjarski, Loretta and Beatson, Rachael (2021) Coaching children 10 and under with a disability in a multi-sport program. ITF Coaching and Sport Science Review, 29 (85). pp. 15-17. ISSN 1812-2302
- Rachael Beatson, (2020) All Come out To Play lesson plan