Professor Zablud is a practising Australian Lawyer and Notary. He is an Adjunct Professor at the Sir Zelman Cowen Centre.
He is held in the highest regard throughout the common law world for his commitment to excellence and the advancement of the notariat and for his outstanding contribution to the education of prospective and practising notaries.
He is regarded as a world expert on the Hague Apostille Convention and the authentication of documents for cross-border purposes.
Professor Zablud is the immediate past Chairman of the Board of Governors of The Australian and New Zealand College of Notaries and is a Distinguished Fellow of the College.
He is also a Fellow of the Society of Notaries in Victoria and is a Councillor and past-President of the Society.
In 2013, Professor Zablud was appointed a director of the World Organization of Notaries.
As Director of Notarial Studies at the Sir Zelman Cowen Centre, Professor Zablud designed and is responsible for the presentation of the Professional Course in Notarial Practice - the pre-eminent qualification for notaries in Australia and one of the outstanding courses of education of its kind.
Professor Zablud received the Member of Australia Award for significant service to the law in 2017.
Zablud, P (2016) Principles of Notarial Practice, 2nd Edition, The Notary Press, Melbourne
Zablud, P (2012) Notarizing for International Use - A Guide for American Notaries, Attorneys and Public Officials, The Notary Press, Melbourne
Zablud, P (2005) Principles of Notarial Practice, Psophidian Press, Melbourne
Zablud, P (2002) A Notary's Forms and Precedents, Psophidian Press, Melbourne
Papers and presentations
Zablud, P (2014) “The Hague Apostille Convention - Practice and Latest Developments” (presented in Taiwan)
Zablud, P (2014) “The Australian Notariat - Powers, Appointment and Discipline” (presented in Vancouver)
Zablud, P (2014) “It’s All about Authenticity - notarial intervention for cross-border purposes” (presented in Vancouver)
Zablud, P (2013) “With Banners Flying and Notaries at the Ready” (presented in Dublin)
Zablud, P (2013) “Five Centuries of Notarial Signs” (Presented in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand during 2013 and also presented in Vancouver in 2014)
- ACLEA - The Association for Continuing Legal Education (USA)
- The Australian and New Zealand College of Notaries
- European Society of International Law
- International Bar Association
- International Union of Notaries (Individual Member)
- Law Council of Australia (International Law Section)
- Law Institute of Victoria
- The Notaries Society - England and Wales (International Associate)
- Society of Legal Scholars (UK)
- Society of Notaries of South Australia (Honorary Member)
- Society of Notaries of Victoria
- World Organization of Notaries (Individual Member)
Professor Zablud’s research interests are centred on:
- the emergence and development of the notariat in South East Asia, Japan and the Peoples Republic of China
- electronic notarial acts and the electronic authentication of documents for cross-border production
- the origins, development, function and influence of the American notariat.
- Reserve Force Decoration (RFD) and National Medal - both for service as an officer in the Citizens’ Military Force/Australian Army Reserve (from 1965)
- Created a Distinguished Fellow of The Australian and New Zealand College of Notaries (Dist.FANZCN) for “Outstanding Service to the College and the International Common Law Notariat” (2012)
- 2017 Member of Australia Award for significant service to the law.
Areas of expertise
- Educating prospective and practising common law notaries
- International notarial practice
- the origins, development and practices of the American notariat