Director, Strategic Development
Michael is the Director of Strategic Development, working on a range of initiatives to assist in the implementation of the University’s strategic plan to position it as an outstanding and open university that offers a full range of higher education and vocational courses.
Joining VU in 2012, for the following four and half years Michael was General Manager of the University’s ELICOS centre, VU English. Each year he oversaw the delivery and assessment of English language programs to approximatley 3,500 students in Melbourne and campuses in Beijing, Shenyang, Kaifeng, Jinan, Chengdu and Huizhou.
Michael has over twenty-five years’ experience working in the education sector, which includes:
- management of public and private sector education providers in Australia and Asia
- founding Greenwich College, one of Australia’s largest language education providers, and two other providers in Japan and Thailand
- four years on the board of ASX listed education provider Redhill Education
- developing Australia’s first AQF5 Diploma in TESOL and two related Cert IVs.
Prior to joining Victoria University Michael spent three years as founding director of Language Express in Bangkok, which in addition to language programs specialises in hospitality training to top-tier hotels across Thailand.
His masters research, undertaken while teaching at Edith Cowan University in Perth, was on "International student attitudes towards interaction in English". He is currently completing a doctorate examining the factors and decision-making underlying an international student’s choice of higher education provider.
Michael is a certified TOEIC Administrator, was an IELTS examiner at the University of Technology Sydney, an active member of the state branch of English Australia and co-convener of its Special Interest Group on Student Management Systems.
Areas of expertise
- Establishing/managing education providers
- ELICOS curriculum and assessment
- International Student Recruitment
- Transnational education