Prior to taking on the role of Dean, International, Professor Colin Clark had previously served as Deputy Dean and Executive Dean of the former Faculty of Business and Law at Victoria University.
Colin has been active within the accounting profession and is a former Vice President of CPA Australia and a past President of the Victorian Division of CPA Australia. He is a past member of the Australian Accounting Standards Board Advisory Group.
Colin's research interests focus on public sector accounting and corporate governance. He is currently working on three projects associated with financial reporting in China, with one of those, jointly with Helen Yang, funded by CPA Australia examining the implementation of International Financial Reporting Standards in China.
He has completed a number of international projects. These have included an AusAID funded project, jointly with Prof Ken Levy, to review the auditor general legislation of the Solomon Islands and to draft a bill to create a national audit office. Colin led an AusAID linkage project on public sector reform in South Africa.
As well as winning the J O Miller Medal in 2003, Colin has also won numerous awards from CPA Australia including:
- Meritorious Service Award, 2007
- Charles Holmes Medal, 2006
- Meritorious Service Award (VIC), 2004
- Public Sector CPA of the Year (VIC), 2001
Refereed journal articles
Ritonga 1, Clark C. and Wickremasinghe G. (2012) Assessing Financial Condition of Local Government in Indonesia: an exploration, Public and Municipal Finance, 1(2) 37-50.
Clark C. & Levy K. (2012) Improving Accountability in the Solomon Islands: a review of auditor-general enabling legislation, Asia Pacific Law Review, 20(1) 45-62.
Miholcic Z. & Clark C. (2012) Multiple Performance Measurement in Australian Top 500 Companies, in Lee J and Epstein M, Advances in Management Accounting, 20.
Kanthapanit C., Sofocleous S. & Clark C. (2011) Adoption of International Accounting Standards in Thailand: influence on decision making of individual shareholders, Global Review of Accounting and Finance, 2(1) 18-28.
Clark C. (2010) Understanding the Needs of Users of Public Sector Financial Reports: How Far Have We Come?, International Review of Business Research Papers, Special Issue- Festschrift in Honour of Professor Robert Charles Clift, 1(4).
Books and monographs
Zhou J. & Clark C. (Eds) (2011) Internationalization of China's Higher Education: Challenges for Sino-foreign Joint Educational Programs and Institutions, Liaoning University Press, Shenyang China.
Krambia-Kapardis M. & Clark C. (2010) Public Sector Financial Reporting: A User Needs Study in Cyprus, Printxpress, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Armstrong A., Heenetigala K., Clarke A., Clark C., Francis R., Tatnall A., & Dai W. (2010) The Use of Internet Reporting for Small Business and Accounting, National Institute of Accountants, Melbourne.
Clark C. & Corbett D. (Eds) (1999) Reforming the Public Sector: Problems and Solutions, Allen & Unwin, Sydney.
- Joint Editor, Asian Review of Accounting (ARA)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting (AJF&A)
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Accounting Auditing and Performance Evaluation (IJAA&PE)
- Clark C. & Yang H., Converging with IFRS in the People's Republic of China: Progress and obstacles identified by accounting professionals. (CPA Australia Global Research Perspectives Funding program, $20,470).
- Armstrong A., Heenetigala K., Clarke A., Clark C., Francis R., Tatnall A., and Dai W., The Use of Internet Reporting for Small Business and Accounting. (NIA Research Grant Project 2009-2010, $16,000).
- Clark C. Enhancing the Capacity of Existing and Emerging Public Sector Managers. (AusAID Linkage Programs $144,000).
Postgraduate research supervision
- Rent-Seeking Behaviours in Local Government Budgets in Indonesia, Phd thesis, (Principal supervisor).
- A Proposed Conceptual Framework for the Management of Strategic Alliances in Transnational Education, DBA thesis, (Principal supervisor).
- The Determinants of Institutional Shareholder Activism in Malaysia, PhD thesis, (Principal supervisor).
- An Examination of Islamic Values in Relation to Corporate Governance, DBA thesis (Principal supervisor).
- Corporate Governance Practice and Firm Performance of listed Companies in the United Arab Emirates, PhD thesis (Principal supervisor).
- Local Government Financial Condition: Indicators and Causes- A Study of Indonesian Local Government, PhD thesis (Principal supervisor).
- Accounting Information, Capital Market Responses, Corporate Governance and Firm Performance, DBA thesis (Co-supervisor).
- Ismail A., Development of a Corporate Integrity Assessment Instrument Using Corporate Governance Indicators in Malaysia, PhD thesis, passed February 2013 (Principal supervisor Prof A. Armstrong, Co-supervisor Prof C. Clark).
- Purcell J., The Effectiveness of Audit Committees as part of the Governance Process in Victorian Local Government, PhD thesis, passed December 2012 (Principal supervisor Prof R. Francis, Co-supervisor Prof C. Clark).
- Dale C., The Democratic Role of Local Government in Contemporary Australian Society, PhD thesis, passed August 2008. (Principal supervisor: Prof C. Clark).
- White P., A Comparative Legal Analysis of the Regulation of Unauthorised Consumer EFT Transactions in Australia and the USA, DBA thesis, passed 2006. (Principal supervisor: Prof C. Clark, Co-supervisor Dr N. Islam).
- Zeidan S., Organisational Downsizing: The Impact on Survivors Commitment, Citizenship Behaviour and Engagement to the Organisation, DBA thesis, passed 2006. (Principal supervisor Prof A. Armstrong, Co-supervisor Prof C. Clark).
- Miholcic .Z, The Contribution of the Balanced Scorecard Towards Better Financial Performance of Australian Listed Companies – A Comparative Analysis, DBA thesis, passed 2006. (Principal supervisor Prof C. Clark, Co-supervisor Dr N. Billington).
- Vatjanapukka O., An Analysis of Output Based Budgeting (OBB) in the Victorian Government, PhD thesis passed 2004. (Principal supervisor Prof C. Clark, Co-supervisor Prof G. George).
- Fellow, CPA Australia
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia
- Fellow, Institute of Public Administration Australia
- Graduate of the Institute of Company Directors
- Registered Tax Agent
Areas of expertise
- Corporate governance
- Financial reporting in China
- Public sector accounting