Andrew is an expert lecturer/researcher in Public Health with specialist interests in health reconstruction, global health, health systems and health research. He has 30 years' work experience in local government, academia and overseas rural/regional development. In UK and Australia his work has been at all levels of local and central government. He has extensive experience across several universities as lecturer/ senior lecturer/ principal lecturer/researcher and as a specialist consultant to UNIPS/ WHO/EU and UNDP.
He is experienced as a community worker, service and program manager, policy analyst, lobbyist, planner, reviewer, trainer and monitor. In developing countries he has worked on bilateral projects in eleven countries (Afghanistan, Iraq, PNG, Fiji, Vanuatu, Kenya, Malawi, Ukraine, Pakistan, Tanzania and South Africa), and multilaterally in health-system development and monitoring.
Andrew is committed to working collaboratively with stakeholders and counterparts to achieve practical solutions. He likes to work on short-term evaluations, monitoring or trouble-shooting tasks, and longer-term capacity-building and technical-assistance projects with intermittent inputs to a country, with ongoing email/Skype support. Andrew is not available to work full-time long-term in a country due to University commitments.
He has expertise in the following areas:
- Conflict/fragile states, health systems and technical support, with a focus on public-health, health-service delivery, health systems, food security and OHS.
- Technical expert in support of projects related to reducing food barriers, improving health systems, HIV/AIDS, TB, immunisation, malaria, child and maternal health, nutrition, and reviewing health systems.
- Management support including capacity-building relating to national and provincial health services (strategic planning, review, management-systems development, training, etc.), and institutional development relating to transparency/integrity and risk communication.
30+ masters students supervised (primary supervisor)
100+ honours students supervised (primary supervisor)
Andrew has extensive experience working for:
- the British Army
- the Department for International Development
- European Union
- World Health Organization
- Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS) (Chartered Member)
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) (Chartered Member)
- Environmental Health Australia (EHa) (Director – New South Wales)
- Royal Society of Medicine (Fellow)
- Royal Society of Public Health (Fellow)
- Institute of Food Science and Technology (Fellow) Academy of Higher Education (UK) (Fellow)
- Public Health Association of Australia (PHAA)
Health and Biomedicine
Areas of expertise
- Health systems, public health and food security in conflict/fragile states
- nutrition, and reducing food barriers
- reviewing approaches to disease including HIV/AIDS, malaria and TB
- Institutional development related to transparency, risk and communications
- capacity building relating to national and provincial health services