The Library offers a number of programs throughout the year to assist students in developing research skills and to use the full range of information resources available at Victoria University Library. The programs range from one-hour information sessions to two-hours hands-on workshops.
View all Library training programs for the current month:
An introductory session for those who need to organise and manage information using bibliographic software. Covers the basics of building an Endnote library and creating bibliographies.
Thesis formatting workshop by Research Ambassadors
Help with formatting – whether you’ve just written a chapter or you’re about to submit your thesis. Informal and interactive mini-workshop with Research Ambassador Cian McGinley on how to:
- Set up list levels and headings in Word to easily create a table of contents
- Create captions and cross-references for figures, tables, equations
- Use captions to quickly create list of figures or list of tables
- Manage multiple chapters by using Master and sub-documents in Word
He can also help with any other formatting questions. Bring along electronic copies of your work to begin formatting directly on the PCs provided, or on your own laptop.
When & where:
Friday 17 April, 2.30pm - 3.30pm or Friday 25 April, 3pm - 4pm at Werribee Library Tutorial Room 1A08b.
Register to attend ‘Formatting your thesis’
Introduction to NVivo Qualitative Data Analysis
Research Ambassador Trinidad Espinosa will show research students and staff how to:
- start a new project with NVivo
- code data and organise large number of data into node and sub-nodes
- create some queries
When and where:
Library Research Overview
This introductory session for new Higher Degree Research students and staff provides an overview of library services including key contacts and tools to locate journal articles, theses, books and other resources.
For College of Business: Monday 20 April, 10.30am-12.30pm, City Flinders Library Training Room
For College of Sport & Exercise Science & College of Engineering & Science: Thursday 30 April, 10am-12pm, Footscray Park Library Training Room P307
For College of Arts & College of Education: Tuesday 5 May, 9.30am-12pm, Footscray Park Library Training Room P213
For College of Health & Biomedicine: Wednesday 6 May, 10am-12pm, St. Albans Library Tutorial Room 7.201M
For Engineering & Science or Health & Biomedicine students: Tuesday 12 May, 10am-12pm, Werribee Library Tutorial Room 1A08b
Drop-in sessions - assignment help and study skills
Pop up Library and The Business of Learning
Drop in and see a librarian to assist you with finding information resources for your assignments and a lecturer from Academic Support & Development for assistance with your academic language and study skills.
- Finding resources using the Library catalogue and databases
- Evaluating the information you find
- Planning a business essay, report or assignment
- Referencing and avoiding plagiarism
- Building your academic language skills
- Managing your study time at university
- Reading business texts
- Giving spoken presentations
This is free for all students in the College of Business. No appointment needed; simply drop in as often as you need.
Footscray Park campus
Every Wednesday, during semester, 12pm – 2pm, Building G, Room 316
City Flinders campus
Every Thursday, during semester, 12pm – 2pm, Level 9
Engineering & science drop-in sessions
Every Monday Engineering & Science Librarians and Academic Support & Development Lecturers will be available to help engineering and science students with:
- Unpacking your engineering, science or IT assignment
- Finding and evaluating library resources for your assignment
- Using Library Search, referencing guides and databases
- Planning and structuring your report or essay
- Paraphrasing, referencing and writing
- Giving an oral presentation
- Understanding maths and physics concepts and theories
- Solving maths and physics problems
Every Monday (starting Monday 9 March), 3.30pm – 5.00pm at Footscray Park campus, Building D, Room D441
Appointments are not needed, just drop in.
Get help from College Librarians at Werribee Library
Every Thursday (9.30am-4.30pm), a librarian from one of the following Colleges will be available at Werribee Library to assist students with finding information:
- College of Education
- College of Engineering & Science
- College of Health & Biomedicine
The librarians will provide assistance with:
- database searching
- accessing articles
- any other information research skills.
The librarians will be available at the service desk in person or by phone on 9919 8250.