The Library offers a number of programs throughout the year to assist students in developing research skills and to use the full range of information resources available at Victoria University Library. The programs range from one-hour information sessions to two-hours hands-on workshops.
View all Library training programs for the current month:
On this page
An introductory session for those who need to organise and manage information using bibliographic software. Covers the basics of building an Endnote library and creating bibliographies.
Mini-workshop by a Research Ambassador on how to use online survey platform Qualtrics to create and edit a survey questionnaire, distribute a survey from Qualtrics and analyse survey responses online. This session is for those who have little or no experience with Qualtrics.
When:Tuesday 2 June, 12pm – 1pm
Where: Footscray Park Library, Training Room P307
Slice and Dice Journal Metrics
Elsevier presenter Steven Riddell (PhD) will discuss:
- Comparing journals using Scopus
- Measuring research impact using various metrics (Journal Impact Factor, eigenfactor, SCIMago Journal Rank, Source-normalized impact per paper, altmetrics) and when to use these metrics
- Slicing and dicing data from multiple angles (productivity metrics, citation impact metrics, collaboration metrics, disciplinarity metrics)
- Metrics for strategy and competitor intelligence
When: Wednesday 3 June, 2.30pm-3.30pm
Where: Footscray Park campus, Building P, Room P412.
Booking not required.
SciFinder database training
For: Research students in the fields of chemistry, biology and related sciences
SciFinder (database from the Chemical Abstracts Service of the American Chemical Society) is a research discovery platform in chemistry, biology and related sciences with:
- access to journal references, substances and reactions
- tools to search, filter, analyse and display data
SciFinder trainer Patrick Ivory will show research students how to quickly find the most relevant answers to their research questions.
When and where:
Wednesday 10 June, 9.30am-11:30am, Footscray Park Library Training Room P307
Wednesday, 10 June, 2.00pm-4.00pm, Werribee Library Tutorial Room 1A08b
Drop-in sessions for Arts students
A librarian will be available at Footscray Nicholson Library, every Tuesday, to help students of the College of Arts with:
- Referencing – any queries about using the correct referencing style for assignments
- Finding and evaluating library resources for your assignment
- Using: Library Search & Databases
- Help with exam preparation
For: All Arts students – VE/FE students, undergraduate students including Winter school students, postgraduate students
When: Every Tuesday, 12.00pm – 2.00pm. No need to book – just drop in anytime between 12.00pm and 2.00pm.
Where: Footscray Nicholson Library. Ask for the drop-in session at the library desk.
Copyright training for staff
Copyright for VU Collaborate
For lecturers, tutors and other teaching staff using text, images, multimedia and other resources on VU Collaborate for teaching. Copyright officer Ingrid Unger will explain how to acknowledge an image and ereserve requirements, and provide internet use examples.
When and where:
Monday 1 June, 11:00am-12:00pm, Footscray Park Library Room P412
Thursday 4 June, 10:30am-11:30am, City Flinders Campus Level 9 Room 903
Thursday 11 June, 2:30pm-3:30pm, City Flinders Campus Level 9 Room 903