On this page
The Student Village is a University owned residential complex providing a vibrant living environment for approximately 500 students. The Village provides an environment that encourages academic achievement while fostering personal growth and independence. Meet new friends and form lifelong friendships from across the state, Australia and the world. It is located at Gate 3, Williamson Road, Maribyrnong (on the corner of Williamson and Hampstead Roads).
The Student Village is close to public transport (tram 82, tram 57, bus 223 and bus 406), making travel to the city, Footscray Park, Footscray Nicholson and St Albans campuses easy. It is also a short walk to Highpoint Shopping Centre, one of the major shopping centres in Melbourne.
Although priority is given to students from VU, accommodation is available to students from other universities where a vacancy exists. Fees are set out in the schedule of fees.
Facilities and furnishings
Each unit consists of 2 or 3 bedrooms with residents sharing a bathroom.
Each bedroom is furnished and includes:
- single bed (bedding not supplied)
- study desk, chair and lamp
- built in wardrobe
- gas or electric heater
- high-speed Internet
Multiple shared kitchens are available with:
- gas stove hotplates and oven and microwave
- instant boiling unit
- individual lockable storage cupboard
- dining table and chairs
You will need to supply your own cooking equipment including cutlery and crockery.
Living and studying
The Student Village also offers additional living and studying facilities including:
- security and on call after hours assistance
- free car parking
- Academic Centre study facilities, including a small library and study rooms
- computer lab with 24 hour access to the Internet, printing and photocopying
- laundries with coin operated washing machines and dryers
- college common rooms with couches, coffee table, television and DVD player
- main common room for recreational activities, couches, a pool table, table tennis and a flat screen television with Foxtel
- sporting facilities such as tennis courts, basketball and netball court, and gymnasium
- music and art room facilities
- barbecue areas
Life at the Village
The Student Village, while promoting academic achievement, also provides a variety of activities and events on a weekly basis for residents to be involved and meet new people.
- Trivia Nights, annual Residences Ball, sporting challenges, conversational English classes, weekly movie nights, cultural activities, camps, college meals and cooking classes!
- Orientation program including local area tours, city tours and information nights
- Academic Advisors to assist residents with academic enquiries
- A team of Resident Assistants (RAs) who are senior students, trained to offer support and guidance to residents. The RAs organise events and help maintain an environment at the Village which supports and fosters academic and personal growth
How to get to Student Village
Take a train from Flinders Street Station (city centre) to Footscray Station and then tram 82 to stop 50. You can also take the 57 tram from Flinders Street Station to stop 48 and then it's a 15 minute walk.
You can also drive - it's 15 minutes by car from the city centre.
The Melway street directory map reference is Map 27 H9.
The Student Village office is open on Monday to Friday 8:45am to 4:30pm.
Phone: +61 3 9304 6300
Fax: +61 3 9318 5232
PO Box 14428
Melbourne VIC 8001