Begin your studies in Australian migration law with our leading migration-law program. VU's Professional Course in Australian Migration Law allows people working in related areas, for example law clerks, to gain knowledge in migration law.
Our introductory migration-law course provides a pathway to the Graduate Diploma in Migration Law, which allows you to register to practise as a migration agent.
It also offers a professional-development opportunity for industry workers to gain a more in-depth understanding of migration law in Australia.
At VU, you’ll be taught by some of the best migration-law practitioners in the industry. You will:
- develop skills and knowledge relevant to becoming a migration agent
- review trends in Australian migration law and the visa system, and adapt knowledge in responding to problems
- develop relevant legal literacy and academic skills for further study.
2023 course delivery dates
- Melbourne 9am–5pm, 24, 26, 27 & 28 April
(last date to register 31 March)
- Online 5 - 8 June
(last date to register 12 May)
Career opportunities in migration law
This course provides professional development for workers in relevant areas, for example legal administration, to advance their careers.
It is a pathway to the Graduate Diploma in Migration Law, which leads to several roles including:
- registered migration agent with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA)
- community law adviser
- human resource assessor or adviser
- policy worker in government or industry.
If you continue to the Graduate Diploma in Migration law, check the Labour Market Insights for salary expectations for a migration agent.
To qualify for the Professional Course in Australian Migration Law, students must:
attend all 32 hours of classes;
complete all in-class activities; and
- successfully complete all assessment tasks.
Course structure and units
- Unit code
The Professional Course in Australian Migration Law provides students with an introduction to the Australian legal framework with a particular focus on migration law. The course will:
· critically reflect on developing skills as a registered migration agent
· critically review contemporary trends in Australian migration law and the visa system and adapt knowledge in responding to problems; and
· critically reflect on developing relevant legal literacy and study skills necessary for further study.
This is a full-fee paying course, designed to provide an entry pathway for those wishing to undertake further studies in the Graduate Diploma in Migration Law, or as a professional development course for those wishing to gain a more in-depth understanding of migration law in Australia.
Admission & pathways
Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee you entry into this course. Some courses receive more applications than the number of places available. In this situation we will also assess your education, work and other relevant experience.
Find out more about how to apply for our courses, and our commitment to admissions transparency.
5 years of relevant work experience in legal areas i.e. law clerk, or recommendation letter from current or previous employer subject to the Dean's discretion.
- Melbourne 9am–5pm, 24, 26, 27 & 28 April (last date to register 31 March)
- Online 5 - 8 June (last date to register 12th May)
Please fill out the form below, and we'll get back to you shortly.
- Visit a student service centre
- 1300 VIC UNI (1300 842 864)
- Visit the glossary
At Victoria University, we aim to display accurate and complete course information online. However, we are unable to guarantee that every course change is currently displayed. You may contact the University directly on +61 3 9919 6100 to confirm the most up-to-date course fees, pathways and credit transfer, recognition of prior learning, admission and enrolment procedures, examinations and services available to our students.