Dr Fabio Serpiello
Senior Lecturer, Advanced Sports Physiology
Fabio is a Senior Lecturer in Sports Physiology and Chair of the Master of Sports Science (Football Performance). He is also Head of Academy Performance and Sport Science at Melbourne Victory FC.
He has a Bachelor's and Master's Degree in Sport and Exercise Science from the University of Milan, Italy, and has also studied at the Universidad Politecnica de Madrid (Spain), and the University of Verona (Italy). He joined Victoria University in 2008 as a PhD student, funded by the prestigious Endeavour Europe Award.
In 2011 Fabio was a recipient of a Joao Havelange Research Scholarship, awarded by the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and the International Centre for Sport Studies (CIES).
Fabio has obtained close to $100,000 in external research funding as Chief Investigator, including grants from FIFA and UEFA, and contributed as associate investigator to ISEAL receiving $850,000 funding, primarily from FIFA and Football Federation Victoria.
View Fabio's full publication list in the Victoria University Research Repository.
As Chief Investigator - Total: $94,500
- 2015 UEFA Research Grant Programme; A$21,000 [main applicant Mr Luca Oppici]
- 2013 UEFA Futsal Department Contract Research Grant; A$42,200
- 2011 FIFA and CIES, João Havelange Research Scholarship; A$31,500
As Associate Investigator – Total $851,000
- 2016 FIFA, contract research on validity and safety of athlete tracking devices ($765,000; CI A/Prof Rob Aughey)
- 2013 Football Federation Victoria and Victoria University Research project on Talent ID and Coaches Education; ($60,000 over 3 years; 50% FFV, 50% VU; CI Dr Matthew Varley)
- 2013 Victoria University Central Research Grant Scheme; ($26,000. CI Dr Matthew Varley)
Postgraduate research students and fellows
Principal supervision of 1 honours and 4 masters students
Co-supervision of 1 PhD student.
- Member of the Victoria University Academic Board
- Member of Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA)
Fabio has significant experience in the football industry, featuring activities with Football Federation Victoria and Real Madrid Foundation.
Areas of expertise
- Football and futsal
- Intermittent exercise
- Repeated spring exercise