VU College’s role is to widen educational participation for traditionally under-represented groups, by raising aspirations and enabling university-readiness.
On this page
VU College focuses on:
- young people and early school leavers
- school partnerships
- foundation courses (including English as a second language)
- local and international community links (eg. University of Texas at El Paso)
- adult and community education
- pathways and guaranteed places.
Retention and success
VU College is leading and implementing a coherent university retention and success strategy, working in collaboration with Colleges, Student Life, research Institutes and other agencies to help keep students at university once they start.
Our role is to identify curricular and co-curricular issues and address immediate needs of students at risk, using data to underpin initiatives.
We also play a major role in partnership with other Colleges and the Centre for Collaborative Learning and Teaching around academic learning development and success. This project aims to build a clear focus on integrated disciplined based solutions informed by transitions pedagogy and academic and professional literacies theory and practices.
Specialisations and expertise
VU College works across the university in these areas:
- School/University Partnerships Services
- Early University Program
- Youth Services
- Community Partnership and Gateways Services
- Course delivery services
- International English language services
- Student Retention services
- Learner Academic Development Services including Language, Literacy and Numeracy
- Transitions Pedagogy Services
- Pre-Tertiary Curriculum design and implementation services.