Dr Guneratne Wickremasinghe is a Senior Lecturer in Finance and Financial Services in the Victoria University Business School and a Research Fellow at VU Research.
He holds a PhD in Finance from Monash University, a MCom (Accounting & Taxation) from the University of Calicut and a BCom (Special) from the University of Sri Jayewardedenpura.
He has been the Acting Head of School on several occasions and has held the positions of postgraduate research coordinator, discipline leader for finance and statistics, and the seminar convenor of the former School of Accounting and Finance. He has coordinated two courses in banking and finance and has coordinated and taught both postgraduate and undergraduate units in finance since joining VU.
Dr Wickremasinghe has received research and other grants amounting to $198,804 since joining Victoria University. His publication record to date includes 39 research papers in refereed journals. In addition, he has presented 16 research papers at local and international conferences.
He has successfully supervised 16 PhD students in the areas of Finance, Accounting and Auditing. He is currently supervising 4 PhD students and 1 DBA student in Finance.
Dr Wickremasinghe's external engagement activities include memberships of editorial boards of a number of internationally refereed journals.
- BAO5534 Financial Analysis (postgraduate)
- BAO7001 Advanced Finance (postgraduate)
- BAO3403 Investment & Portfolio Management (undergraduate)
- BEO3002 Derivatives and Risk Management
- Course Chair BBus (Financial Risk Management)
Completions: 15 PhD students
Current supervision: 4 PhD students and 1 DBA student in Finance.
Available to supervise.
Refereed journal articles
Wickremasinghe, G.B. (2011) New Evidence on the Efficiency of South Asian Emerging Stock Markets. Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review, 7 (1). pp. 56-63. ISSN 1813-0534
Wickremasinghe, G.B. (2011) The Sri Lankan stock market and the macroeconomy: an empirical investigation. Studies in Economics and Finance, 28 (3). pp. 179-195. ISSN 1086-7376
Wickremasinghe, G.B. (2010) Purchasing power parity during the floating exchange rate regime: Some empirical evidence from Sri Lanka. Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review, 6 (4). pp. 110-118. ISSN 1813-0534
Wickremasinghe, G.B. (2009) Are Real Exchange Rates of Papua New Guinea Mean-Reverting? Evidence from Panel Unit Root Tests. Applied Economic Letters, 16 (2). pp. 157-161. ISSN 1350-4851
Cooray, A. and Wickremasinghe, G.B. (2007) The efficiency of emerging stock markets: empirical evidence from the South Asian region. Journal of Developing Areas, 41 (1). pp. 171-183. ISSN 0022-037X
View the full list of Dr Wickremasinghe's publications in Victoria University's Research Repository.
Research and other grants
Office of Senior Victorians (2009), $165,000
Victoria University Researcher Development Grant Scheme (2008), $29,804.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants (Australia and New Zealand) - Full member
- Certified Practicing Accountants (Australia) - Full member
- Institute of Public Accountants (Australia) - Full member.
Areas of expertise
- Accounting education in developing countries
- Audit pricing
- Behavioural finance
- Capital budgeting in developing countries
- Efficiency of emerging stock markets
- exchange rate pass-through to import and export prices
- financial development and economic growth
- financial reporting in developing countries
- International parity conditions
- IPO performance in emerging stock markets
- performance technical trading rules
- public sector financial management
- tests of efficiency
- value relevance of financial and non-financial information
- volatility and integration of emerging stock markets