This major provides an integrated set of units in literary studies. It builds on the minor in literary studies and broadens student understanding of contemporary and historical literary themes and texts. Students are introduced to different scholarly positions that shape contemporary commentary, and are invited to consider the impact of different speaking positions on how the field of literary studies is being shaped. Assessment tasks for the major include short exercises, oral presentations, essays, and formal examinations. The major includes capstone units, which provide students with the opportunity to draw on their learning in their major, and develop the capacity to apply this learning in new contexts.
- Reading Contemporary Fiction
- Studying Poetry and Poetics
- Romance and Realism
- Australian Literature
- Children's Literature
- Working Class Writing
- Students selecting this as Major 1 must choose:
- Graduating Project 1
- Graduating Project 2
- Students are required to complete only one pair of capstone units in their degree (either ACX3005 Graduating Project 1 & ACX3006 Graduating Project 2 or ACX3007 Studio Project 1 & ACX3008 Studio Project 2). Students should select the capstone units offered for their preferred major and then replace the capstone units in the second major with 2 Level three units from a related Discipline major.
Where to next?
If you are interested in this unit as part of a course, refer to our how to apply page to find out more about our application process.
If you are a current VU student, you may be able to enrol in this unitset as an elective.
- Contact your course coordinator to see if you are able to take the elective unit set.
You can also contact us directly:
- Ring us on +61 3 9919 6100
- Find answers and ask questions at GOTOVU
VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.