Victoria University Polytechnic is offering a free short course to address a dire shortage of staff in Victoria’s hospitality sector, which continues to be hard-hit by the impact of the pandemic.
Its seven-day Work-Ready Program will fast-track graduates into entry-level front-of-house food and beverage or barista roles.
Intensive training will take place at VenU, a state-of-the-art simulated restaurant at VU Polytechnic’s Footscray Nicholson Campus, from mid-to-late September, and again from late November to early December.
With Victoria’s visitor economy targeted to reach $35 billion in annual spending supporting 300,000 jobs by mid-2024, the sector offers significant opportunities for career growth.
Further study or guaranteed job interview
Students who complete the Work-Ready Program can progress into further training and education at VU Polytechnic and Victoria University through a range of courses in hospitality, tourism, events, and cookery at the School for the Visitor Economy.
After completing the short course, graduates are guaranteed job interviews with the following prestigious hospitality industry partners:
- Accor: Art Series, Ibis, Mantra, Mercure, Movenpick, Novotel, Peppers, Pullman, The Como, Sofitel, Quay West Suites
- Delaware North: Marvel Stadium, MCG, Melbourne and Olympic Parks
- LUCAS Restaurants: Baby, Chin Chin, GOGO Bar, Grill Americano, Hawker Hall, Kisumé, Society, Yakimono
- RACV Resorts and Clubs: City Club, Cape Schanck, Cobram, Goldfields, Healesville, Inverloch & Torquay
- Riverland Group: BANG BANG, Hotel Railway, Pilgrim, Riverland, The Boatbuilders Yard, The General Assembly
- Comfort Apartments Royal Gardens
- Overnewton Castle
- Pancake Parlour: Highpoint, Werribee, Docklands, Melbourne Central
- Quest: Caroline Springs and Werribee
VU Polytechnic has previously run a successful Work-Ready Program earlier this year that saw several graduates find new jobs in the industry.
Come along to a one-hour Information Session on 24 August or 14 September to learn more and tour VenU’s commercial kitchens, training bar, and 150-seat restaurant. You can also enrol on the evening.