To better support our TAFE and undergraduate students, we have increased the loan period for books from the general collection from 14 days to 28 days.
You may borrow as many books as you need for a 28-day period – unless the title is in high demand or in the reserve collection.
Borrowing, renewing & placing on hold
Renewals can be made online via My Library or over the phone on +61 3 9919 4266.
We have retained shorter borrowing periods for some books and media due to high demand. This allows fair access for all students to these titles on the VU Library shelves.
Borrowing periods include the following:
- general collection books – 28 days
- high-demand books – 1, 3 or 14 days
- DVDs – 7 or 14 days
- other audiovisual – 7 days
- restricted audiovisual – 1 day
- reserve collection – 2 hours (within the library only)
- laptops – 4 hours (within the library only).
If books from the general collection and 14-day loan books are already out on loan, you can reserve the item by placing a hold through Library Search and logging into My Library. Collect your books as soon as possible – the library only holds items for 5 working days.
You can’t place a hold on audiovisual items, items from the reserve collection and laptops. The service desk at a campus library can help you book audiovisual items and laptops.
If you can’t find a book or other item within the VU Library, try other libraries.
Our eBooks service
Can't find what you're looking for? Try borrowing an eBook, accessible 24 hours a day seven days a week.
- look for library shelf signs with a QR Code
- scan the code with your mobile phone to link to the Library homepage
- search for eBooks.
Check our E-books Guide to help you find, read, print/copy and download e-books.
Free SMS library notices
To receive reminders about due/overdue items or instant updates on items placed on hold and ready for pick-up, ‘opt in’ to receive library notices via SMS:
- Log in to My Library
- Click 'Opt in' to receive library notices via SMS
- Enter mobile phone number with no spaces e.g. 0412345678
- Tick the box to ‘opt in’ and click Submit.